Told to change 'arms' otherwise wasting my money...

on an alignment. I went to an NTB store to get an aligment done. The mechanic tells me not to waste my money on an alignment since it would do no good because the 'arms' holding the wheels in the front are going bad and the left driver's side is already bad causing my wheel to shift back and forth. I didn't understand exactly and just told him i would come back next to have it done since he said it would've taken at least 1.5 hours to get it done and that i had to run errands. He said no charge for labor if i decide to get it done there since the part was like 225 bucks. Just odd that they would'nt charge for labor. Are these guys telling me the truth? Thanks to all.

Reply to
icanluv2

On what model car?

Was he talking about replacing control arms completely, or just the bushings?

It's true that all kinds of front end problems can make vehicles impossible to align, including a bunch that have to do with control arms.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Toyota Camry 97'.

Reply to
icanluv2

Kind of hard to say whether or not they're telling you the truth without seeing the control arms and wheel bearing for yourself, but if that is indeed the case, then the tech was correct in his assessment. If the control arm is bent, then one will not be able to get the wheels aligned within specs. Replacing the control arms isn't a real bug deal (though you didn't mention what kind of car), but it's not a walk in the park either, and I would surely expect some kind of labor charge.

Reply to
qslim

If you have enough wear in any part that the wheel can shift, or the steering wheel can move without moving the tires instantly, these parts must be replaced to do an alignment or you are wasting your money.

It sounds like he is telling you the truth. He will likely get a normal parts markup along with the labour on the alignment.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I am going to return this weekend to see if they meant 225 bucks for one arm or for both left and right front tires arm

Reply to
icanluv2

I suspect that the mechanic is telling you the truth, and they should be able to show you this. On my car, I have "tie rod ends" that if worn will cause the same problem. And if they are really tie rod ends, they should be replaced in pairs.

Reply to
scott21230

wrote

Not a whole lot to the control arms on a 97 Camry, but they do cost $132 from Rockauto, probably a lot more with the shop's markup, plus whatever labor they may add (or include, and just jack up the arm's $).

Page:

Pic:

MasterBlaster

Really appreciate the link you provided. I will buy the arms and take it to a local mechanic to have it done. I prefer this way because i know my part is new and saving some money on part. BTW, i called NTB and they told me the labor is 90/hr with a 2.5 job, so it is like 225 for labor only. The mechanic that i normally go to for oil change is only going to charge 50 bucks /hr labor. Also, is there standard Toyota part # that i can go buy no matter what store i buy from? Just needed to know. Also, do the arms come with anything else, or can i confidently go to my local Autozone and buy with confidence about the Dorman being the right part? It isn't also under another name is it? Thanks again.

Reply to
icanluv2

BTW, my Toyota Camry LE 97' is a V6 3.0 Liter. Not sure if that makes a difference versus the CE or XLE as far as the control arm.

Reply to
icanluv2

Forgot to mention that while calling NTB, i had asked them how much the control arm cost and they told me that it is a dealer special order only. They said all auto shops have to order thru dealer since only they have it. Interesting they would say that when Autozone carries it.

Reply to
icanluv2

Just because Autozone has it in their computer doesn't mean that it's really the right part or that you want to be using it.

For a lot of parts, you can get away with crappy replacements, but for a lot of other parts, you want to spend the money and get the OEM part, which may only be available from the dealer. Or which may actually be cheaper from the dealer.

Which category do the control arms fall in? I don't know, but a Toyota guy would. Take your car to a Toyota guy.

Note also that the hourly rate really has nothing to do with how much the job is going to cost you. I'll gladly pay twice as much for a better mechanic who will do the job in half the time. For something like just swapping out the control arms it may not be a big deal, but sometimes easy jobs turn into hard ones.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You made an interesting point regarding getting OEM part and quality. I see what you mean. BTW, i just got off the phone with the Toyota dealer who just quoted me for $277 for each arm.

As far as the labor hour,the guy from NTB actually told me that it will be a 2.5 hr job for each arm, so 225 labor for each arm.

Reply to
icanluv2

Going to have to do this on my Mazda. The ball joints are pressed in, and I tried pressing it out with no luck.

OEM Mazda part is...$427!!!! Dorman makes one for about $80. Rather go with OEM, but I only paid $150 for the car!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B