Tools again - Husky v. Kobalt v. Craftsman

Hey folks.

I'm looking to finally replace an old cheap set of sockets I have that are about 15 years old. They are an import I guess - given as a gift. Ratchet sometimes "sticks" when ratcheting, head is a bit "loose", and the horrible "case" does not keep the sockets orderly.

I rarely use it right now - maybe a couple times a year, but when I do use it - I keep saying to myself, "I really need to replace this". (And I'd replace it with something decent that would last forever - and since eventually I will likely use it more frequently than 2x/yr)

So I was originally thinking of getting a Craftsman set - the only problem is that they seem to have gone down in quality, and some Sears stores are starting to give people a hassle about replacement.

While at Lowe's recently - I checked out their Kobalt line. I didn't care for their ratchet very much - it seems to have the same "flaw" as many sockets.... The direction "lever" is very um wimpy. Not that I would anticipate using it as a hammer, slipping, and breaking it off... (even if I did I could swap it out for free) - but I just didn't like the look of it.

Usenet searches in general reveal that the older Kobalt tools were probably really good. However quality apparently has changed a bit when Lowe's moved to a different manufacturer?

Husky - went to Home Depot yesterday. I checked out ther 3/8" drive teardrop socket. Very nicely constructed, including built in spinner on the head. The ratchet included in their kits does not have a quick-release - because the back of the rotating shaft houses a beefy directional "latch". One thing I did notice is that putting a socket on it, while the socket fit snugly on the ratchet... It did not "seat" itself all the way back. There was a gap of about 1/16" or maybe 3/32" between the socket and the face of the ratchet. If I pushed it further back it would sit for a while, but then want to pop back out a little. Not sure if this is by design or an un-important defect.

Anyway - I guess I'm just soliciting advice. I do think the Husky is the way to go - and with a 10% coupon, I could get the 93 piece set, including tax, to be about $77. Not a bad price for something that my kids will someday likely own. Although with Xmas here - Craftsman has a lot of sales going - and I am not so sure Husky hand tools go on sale at Home Depot very often. (ever?)

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

The Husky's are pretty strong, their basic 3/8" ratchet has more strength & durability than my snap-on ratchet. My craftsman basic teardrop ratchet is still surviving.. at Autozone they have these new Duralast tools, the claim is that they're stronger than Craftsman & Snap-On, Mac, etc... also have a hasslefree lifetime warranty. They look pretty impressive.. haven't tried it out yet.

Reply to
Eric F

One of my college automotive students bought one of the Duralast sets for the back of his pickup. Looks like a good set for around $200.

Reply to
saeengineer

Husky is made by Stanley. Sears, Matco, Kobalt, and Allen are made by Danaher. Snap On still makes their own hand tools.

Kobalt used to be made by Williams Tool which was part of Snap On but Williams lost the new contract to Danaher.

If you're leaning towards Husky, I'd go to Costco or Wal-Mart and buy the Stanley brand. (you'll save $'s).

My personal preference is SK. They're as good as Snap On but at a better price since you don't pay the huge dealer markup. SK used to be part of Wayne Corp. but now they're part of Facom Tool. Facom is like the Snap On of Europe. I don't know if Facom makes SK these days or whether SK still uses their own US factorys. (maybe SK has recently contracted out to Danaher??)

Reply to
davefr

Approximately 12/1/03 08:20, davefr uttered for posterity:

Whatever happened to the Proto brand? I see they are now part of Stanley, but seldom see them mentioned any more.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

The Stanley website makes it fairly clear that Stanley is their DIYer/Harry Homeowner line and Proto is their pro line.

Don't forget about S-K:

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Interesting information! I didn't know that.

You can find more here

here

saeengineer