torque converter

I recently put in a new engine into my car, and in the process took the torque converter off. In doing so, some fluid spilled out. Upon re-assembly, i tried to pour new fluid into the converter, then put the engine back in. Now the car wont move. I am assuming the the torque converter is not pumping up and engaging. could this be the cause, or is it something else? The transmission engaged and shifted fine before the converter was pulled. the car is a 1968 mustang, and the transmission is a C-4, bolted to a 302.

P.S.- I'm pretty sure the shaft of the torque converter was inserted all the way onto the transmission shaft, because the engine bolted to the bellhousing fairly easily, and there was adequate space for the flexplate.

Reply to
dsimpson

wrote

Any chance there's 4 bolts/nuts mysteriously left over, closely resembling the ones that used to attach the converter to the flexplate?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Have you checked the fluid level with the engine running?

Reply to
John Kunkel

haha no...no bolts were left over, the converter is bolted to the flywheel. And the fluid level reads full while idling in park.

Reply to
dsimpson

Reply to
Shep

Uh oh. Sounds like exactly what I had happen when a friend put a new 350 crate engine in my '79 GMC pickup years ago. He had trouble getting the trans. to pull up to the engine and forced it on with the bolt threads. Turned out the converter lugs weren't properly engaged to the trans. pump and I had the exact same symptoms as you have. Pull off one of your trans. oil cooler lines and see if you've got flow with the engine idling. If not, I'll be that's what's happened. Don't know about a Ford, but in my case it ruined the pump lugs completely and was an expensive repair. Hope this helps and good luck, bud.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

okay everyone, thanks for the info...i think i'm just gonna have it towed to a transmission shop and have them deal with it, i dont have a car lift and i dont want to take the engine out again.

Reply to
dsimpson

The TC will fill from the pressurized lubrication system- you don't need to (and CAN'T) fill it full before installing.

This sounds like you missed engaging the convertor in the pump drive "tangs" to me. The convertor should slide all the way into the front of the transmission, then the engine should bolt up with the convertor still slightly rearward from the flexplate, and once the engine and trans are bolted together you have to stick your fingers in and pull the convertor FORWARD (out of the transmission) slightly to engage the bolts to the flexplate. If you tried to align the flexplate and the bellhousing bolts simultaneously while installing the transmission, you probably missed and broke the pump drive tangs off inside the transmission.

Reply to
Steve