Towing a 4wd

Hi,

I want to get a car dolly that just the front wheels sit in, rear wheels are on the road, and tow across country.

Both of my trucks are 4wd and the transfer case can be put into neutral. How many miles is ok? This means I do not have to remove the drive shaft, right?

They are a 1971 K20 and a 2007 K2500.

Thanks,

Vic

Reply to
me at

Get a drive-up trailer on a one rental. In my experience the price isn't much different from a front wheel trailer. The weight difference won't be noticable, it should tow and back-up better and you won't have to worry about the driveline.

Reply to
John S.

I think you only have to remove the drive shaft on an automatic. If it's manual, slip it into neutral and your good to go.

Double check it though, just to be safe.

Reply to
misshime

I do not buy the price or weight difference thing as it will weight likely at least 1000 lbs more and cost a lot more for a good one (not a cheap on the sell with LD 3500 lb axles and car tires) plus it will add a lot of tongue weight to TV too. WIthe the 71 if you place the NP

205 Tcase in neutral you cann tow it all over the place on a dolly no problem. On the 2007, I would trailer that or remove rear drive shaft if you dolly it because of Tcase design.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What transfer case do they have? I know on my Bronco the t-case oil pump is driven by the output shaft so it will lube itself when towed. You should be able to put the t-case in neutral and be good to go. Don't forget that once you do that there's nothing holding the shaft, so even in park it will roll away without chocks or the e-brake.

One thing I would worry about is weight. I don't think there are any dollies that will handle the kind of load you are talking about. I think you will need a trailer and trailer brakes to move either one of these.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

I doubt the K2500 will fit on a dolly... (IMHO, but maybe I'm wrong!)

I've been told both that for long distances it is OK, and for long distances better to remove drive shaft.

Were it my truck, I'd pull the drive shaft. Easy to do, and minimizes wear/tear on the tcase and other moving parts.

Reply to
PeterD

MUCH better to disconnect the shaft than trust the case to stay in neutral. The T case won't burn up from lack of lube either. No need to pull it all the way though. Pull the rear joint loose, tape the U joint caps on good and hang it from the frame with a strap.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, you can tow it long distances with the transfer case in neutral. Lots of people do it every summer with no adverse effects. Instead of a tow dolly, I would use a tow bar. Bolts to the front bumper mounts, doesn't weigh much of anything, and it's a whole lot cheaper. You'll also need some additional lights. I used one on my Blazer and it worked really well from CO to NY, and then back to CO.

Reply to
.boB

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Vic, Fact.....not Fiction.........

tow BOTH vehicles on the dolly......

IF....... you can get them on the dolly..... (you didn't offer up tire sizes, etc)

BUT....(short,simple,easy to understand) you MUST....... put the "Transmission" in PARK...... the "Transfer Case" in NEUTRAL......

in order to INSURE....that the transmission doesn't overheat.

any further explanation can be gained through doing some "Google" homework. If you're smart enough to make enough money to afford a 2007.......

well then......you can google....or take my word for it!!

:)

me....i'm jest to dang lazy to do it for you.

fact...not fiction.

:)

~:~ MarshMonster (tranny tech) ~sips his crownroyal..takes a toke...contemplates success~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

It would be best if you actually priced one out before making startements like that. My son and I drove a rented a truck carrying his goods and towing his car from the west coast to the east coast not long ago. The difference in price between the two towing setups was all but negligible. And the drive-on trailer is a more stable platform that is easier to maneuver. That some localities do not allow dollied towing on the road should give some indication about which is the preferred setup.

Heck, it is possible to tow a car with a length of rope too. Not safe, but it can be made to work. For long distance driving I would always recommend going for the most stable setup - in this case a drive on trailer.

WIthe the 71 if you place the NP

Reply to
John S.

Well, Lot's of good input, some knee jerk too.

2007, Turns out I had some time to look for the 2007 manual and it says ok for any distance with transfer case in neutral. As far as transmission it is a little ambiguous, so I wrote an email to Chevy this morning. I like the idea of leaving it in park.

1971, beats me, I think it is ok, the 205 is a gear driven so I think it will lube itself. They are dynamite tough too. Maybe I will tow with the tranny in first.

Will let you know when/if GM replies.

Trailer/dolly, it is more of a storage thing for me. Hoping a dolly can be leaned up against a wall somewhere.

-- Vic

Reply to
me at

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Putting the transmission in park insures the trannies guts don't start turning and creating ANY heat...which IS NOT going to be cooled without the pump circulating the fluid. "IF"....for some reason there's any "drag" created inside the transfer case (even in neutral) because of the driveshaft turning at highway speeds, the shaft could transmit the momentum to the transmission output shaft and create even a miniscule amount of friction internal of the tranny. This will be completely impossible with the trans in park.

anywhoooooo........... as with Dr's.....second opinions are a good thing.

let us know what Chevy says.

:)

~:~ marshmonster ~sips his crownroyal...takes a toke..~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster
14 Apr 2007 13:37:50 -0700 in rec.autos.tech Marsh Monster snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: | | let us know what Chevy says. | | :) | | ~:~ | marshmonster | ~sips his crownroyal...takes a toke..~ | ~:~ |

Chevy replied, this from the corporation, HA! They said they don't know anything about towing, said to call the dealer! What a crock. UFB!

Reply to
me at

Schultz, in Hogan's Heros: "I know nothing!"

Reply to
PeterD