Town & Country trans slipping -- options?

A non-profit owns a '97 T&C minivan that now has a slipping auto transmission. They will raise donations to get a rebuilt trans installed, if need be.

Are there other options? Is this just a pump? Or does it need "clutch packs and bands"?

Any good advice for selecting a good used a.t. from a wrecking yard?

Rebuild runs about $2000 (N. Califorenia). Does this sound "in the ball park"?

Just looking to give them a few other options.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks, S.

Reply to
Stephanie

Has the transmission fluid level been checked?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Unfortunately, the Chrysler FWD automatics are known to be flaky, so a full rebuild is probably your best option.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I would suggest taking it to a reputable transmission shop that has the proper scan tool to see if there are any stored fault codes. Also, when was the last time the fluid and filter were replaced?

If you need a transmission rebuild, the price that you say is about right. I had my done for $2250 back in August. It was done by an ATRA (Automatic Transmmission Rebuilders Association) member.

That included all new mounts, and the planetary gear shaft. They also included a used flashable transmission controller, since mine was the early one that could not be flashed. After the rebuild, there were still a few shifting problems until they cleaned all the connectors on the wire harness. Since then, it has worked better than it ever did.

More information about Chrysler transmissions and repairing them can be found at allpar.com

-KM

Reply to
kmath50