Toyota Brake Light Switch Thingie

1990 Toyota Corolla...the brake lights were stuck on, running down the battery. The plastic thingie that snaps into the brake pedal arm that pushes in the switch plunger has disintegrated. What is the name of the part? I assume it's a dealer item...any chance they'd have it for a car that old? If not, any ideas/suggestions for a fix? Seems like a stupid design to me.
Reply to
M.M.

I dont know what they call it but you are right that it would be a dealer item. I am relatively certain they can access it for you.

Pick-A-Part, or similar wrecking yards, are also good sources of part.

If push comes to shove, you can fabricate (saw, file, Dremel, whatever) many seemingly hopeless parts.

Reply to
hls

Brake light switch. Only lasted 20 years, yeah probably you could do better.

Dick Cheney

The switch isn't what failed so it is unlikely that was the part he meant was designed poorly. The plastic piece attached to the brake pedal that fell apart doesn't really need to be included in the design. It could have been designed to have the switch contact the metal arm directly, which is what some other manufacturers do. I'm just clarifying his complaint not commenting on whether it would improve the design. No doubt, there was some perceived advantage to doing it this way.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Apologies, I thought he meant it was part of the switch.

Sorry.

Dick Cheney

Yes, the switch itself is fine. But there's a little plastic grommet like thing that snaps into a hole in the brake pedal arm that the switch plunger is supposed to contact when the pedal retracts. Without it, the plunger doesn't contact anything, it just sticks thru the hole where the grommet is supposed to be and so never shuts off. The damned thing just disintegrated and so now the brake lights don't turn off and the battery runs down, neither of which is desirable. I hope I can get a replacement grommet thingie but if not I'll have to rig something to fill the hole so it'll actuate the switch. It just doesn't seem like something that had to be there...why can't it just contact the pedal arm? And it's not exactly an easy thing to access. Oh well, if it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun...

Reply to
M.M.

As I picture what you have described, it sounds like a suitably sized nut and bolt, perhaps with a washer or two, would do the job. Try it first with it wrench tight; if it works fine for a day or two then add some Loc-tite to secure it.

The damned thing just

Reply to
CWLee

"M.M." wrote in news:6VGin.2545$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.iad:

The part you mention is readily available at your local Toyota dealer, and costs about two dollars. I think it's called a "brake-light-switch stopper".

If in really serious doubt, the parts man can show you the diagram on the parts computer, and you can point at the part with your finger.

You can futz around forever trying to use the wrong thing to fix it, and you can waste days posting innumerable messages on Usenet, or you can simply get one from the dealer and pop it in. Job done.

People break these all the time. They tend to slide their foot sideways off the brake pedal, allowing the pedal to rise up with a BANG. This eventually fractures the stopper. If you LIFT your foot off the pedal instead, it will rise up more gently, and not hammer the crap out of the stopper.

Reply to
Tegger

Its a Toyota. They probably figured you wouldn't be using those brakes anyway. :-/

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

There you go, M.M. The answer in a nutshell. Dont invent if you can repair with factory parts for a couple of bucks.

Reply to
hls

Point well taken. I'll hit a dealer later this week. However, if it's not still available...necessity is a mother...or something like that...

Reply to
M.M.

"M.M." wrote in news:mp%in.24468$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe17.iad:

Why don't you use your telephone to call the dealer and ask him? Most dealers have telephones. At least in my experience.

Reply to
Tegger

'necessity is a mother'- snort- I love that, and I'm stealing it!

Reply to
aemeijers

Where's the FUN in that?!?!?

I'd head down to the local hardware store and pick up a nylon screw and a couple of nylon washers...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:hmi5iq$8ae$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Or tape a dime in place of the real thing...

Any other McGyver suggestions?

Reply to
Tegger

No McGuyver fantasy TV with mine. My solution uses simple, inexpensive and readily available parts, including duct tape, Liquid Steel, lamp cord, one chewing gum foil, a bottle cap, and an empty milk jug. Can't let out more info now. Patent legalities. Sorry.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You forgot coat-hanger wire, the universal exhaust-system-repair component.

Reply to
Tegger

Acceleration issues seen in pre-'07 Camrys.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

A few days ago, I finially finished up with sawing that tree stump below ground level. If I do a McGyver and bore some penny size holes into the top of what's left of that stump and if I hammer some pennys down into the holes, will that make it rot out faster? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:17789-4B8D578C-2015@storefull-

3172.bay.webtv.net:

I'd just chain-saw/axe it down to below ground level, then cover with topsoil.

Reply to
Tegger