Toyota camry timing belt adjustment tips....?

When I try to adjust the belt tension on my 4 cylinder Toyota Camry after l ining up the crankshaft and camshaft timing mark it the marks always seem t o shift by one or two teeth after turning the crankshaft 2 turns. A friend was help me and we got to adjusted by keeping tension on belt to the bottom pulleys and gears while moving the timing gear. Is there another way to ad just the timing belt...?

Reply to
Randall Shimizu

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 07:07:53 -0700 (PDT), Randall Shimizu wrote as underneath :

Sounds very like you have the wrong belt for the engine. Check carefully

Reply to
Charlie+

When you put a belt on an engine, you have to compensate for the belt tensioner by moving the timing gear one or two tooths back. Start with one and rotate the crankshaft. If that's not enough, try two. Do not waste your time by trying to preload the tension on the belt. Good luck!

Reply to
dsi1