Toyota, Nissan [and GM] at risk due to China's rare-earth monopoly

Toyota, Nissan at risk due to China's rare-earth monopoly

Automotive News Europe -- August 18, 2010 09:00 CET

HONG KONG (Reuters) -- In the race to build hybrid cars and wind turbines to feed growing demand for green technology, China has one clear advantage, it holds the world's largest reserves of rare earth metals and dominates global production.

Toyota Motor Corp., which makes the top-selling hybrid car Prius, Nissan Motor Co., maker of the electric-powered Leaf, and General Motors Co., which will offer the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, are most vulnerable to a rare earth supply crunch, analysts say.

A car like the Prius requires 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of neodymium. And each Prius battery uses 10kg to 15kg (22 to 33 pounds) of another rare earth material, lanthanum, said Jack Lifton, a commodities analyst and leading authority on rare metals.

Hybrid and electric cars being developed by Toyota, Nissan, GM and Warren Buffet-backed Chinese automaker BYD Co. are among the biggest guzzlers of rare earth minerals, which analysts say are facing a global supply crunch as demand swells.

The little-known class of 17 related elements is also used for a vast array of electronic devices ranging from Apple Inc.'s iPhone to flat screen TVs, all of which are competing for the 120,000 tons of annual global supply.

China controls 97 percent of rare earth production.

"Rare earth for China is like oil to the Middle East," said Yuanta Securities analyst Min Li.

Small supply, big demand

Worldwide demand for rare earth is expected to exceed supply by some

30,000 to 50,000 tons by 2012 unless major new production sources are developed, say officials at Australian rare earth mining company Arafura Resources.

China has curbed exports of the mineral since 2005 through quotas and duties, saying it needs additional supplies to develop its domestic clean energy and high-tech sectors. On Aug. 11, it said it would cut export quotas in 2010 by 40 percent.

"Export restrictions may provide an advantage to Chinese turbine makers, again because of the cost advantage," said CIMB analyst Keith Li.

Wind turbines, made by global No. 2 wind turbine maker Xinjiang Goldwind Science & Technology, also demand a lot of rare earth minerals.

Li said Chinese green companies would have priority in securing supply of the metals over international peers and their proximity to sources of the minerals ensures quicker and cheaper long-term supply.

China's domestic consumption of the metals poses the biggest threat to global supply. The country, which holds a third of the world's reserves, eats up to 60 percent of global rare earth supply for a wide range of applications from consumer gadgets and medical equipment to defense weapons.

China's trading partners have grown increasingly vocal about its move to cut its export quotas, but Beijing is determined to control the rare earth market.

"Foreign companies could be facing some material supply risks, unless they decide to move production to China," warned Yuanta's Min Li.

No guarantees

But while China may ensure its first-tier green companies are given access to the rare elements, analysts agree this alone is unlikely to guarantee success for the Chinese clean tech firms.

New technologies free of rare earth elements could emerge that may undermine China's advantage, while further cuts in rare earth quotas could trigger a political backlash which could force the nation to keep supply open for its trading partners.

"Chinese technology needs to develop quickly enough to make full use of that advantage," said CIMB's Li. "That window closes if its existing technologies fail to evolve."

Still China will have the upper hand in the global rare earth market for a while yet.

There are currently many new mine projects outside of China in the pipeline but few will be able to compete with it on price unless governments offer production subsidies.

Low prices for rare earth metals from China have undermined production and led to closure of several mines overseas. Lax environmental rules and cheap labor also allow China to sell rare earth metals at low prices.

Also, the development of new rare earth mines could take as many as 10 years.

China's leading rare earth company, Inner Mongolia Baotou Steel Rare Earth Hi-Tech Co., is building 200,000 metric tons in rare earth oxide reserves, and state media reported that the company is joining forces with Jiangxi Copper Corp. to set unified prices for rare earth metals.

If supply becomes extremely tight as experts suggest, Chinese green companies may take upon themselves to secure the mineral by getting involved in the actual process of making rare earth products, analysts said.

BYD is scouting for new sources of lithium, an important ingredient for its high-performance batteries.

Like that of rare earth metals, lithium supply is expected to be tight by 2050, according to a European Commission study on critical raw materials. That is assuming most consumers would ditch their oil- guzzling cars for new generation vehicles.

"BYD is looking for new supply of raw materials all over China, not just in Sichuan," said company spokesman Paul Lin in response to an inquiry about rumors that the company is buying lithium assets in the Chinese province known for its rich reserves of lithium and other materials. The company declined to make further comments about the rumored deal.

A sister company of BYD rival Toyota has secured a lithium supply deal in Argentina while Toshiba Corp. also plans to set up a rare metals joint venture with Kazakhstan state-owned firm Kazatomprom.

Read more:

Ed White

oh shut up ed. you're responding to commodity houses trying to manipulate the market.

fact is, rare earths exist in things like the

which is not confined to china - it exists throughout the planet. if someone else wants to mine it, they can - it's just that nobody can be bothered because there's no serious problem with supply. china certainly dos /not/ have a monopoly. stories like this get printed in the press because journalists are often ignorant of the facts, they don't understand how they're being manipulated, and because commodity traders like to feed them panic stories in the hope that the public can be persuaded to speculate in a market they don't understand. and thus be fleeced.

we had stories like this on silicon in the not so distant past - the "panic" being that the solar cell industry was consuming the world's silicon supplies. fact is, silicon is one of the most abundant elements on the planet, so there is no raw material problem, and any refining capacity is simply a matter of whether producers are being paid enough to make it worth their while. producers loved the higher prices that the story was able to generate. and the commodity houses make a killing off uninformed speculators.

it's a simple and highly rewarding formula - exploitation of human greed and fear happens all the time. and idiots like you that don't understand but rise to the bait are going to get your pecker cut off every single time. and frankly, you deserve it if you do.

or are you just posting crap like this because .you're taking yet another dollar to help disseminate this bullshit? [rhetorical]

Reply to
jim beam

I thought the article was interesting. I am interested in hearing whether it is or is not something to worry about. Did you read the entire article? They did mention there were other sources that could be developed, but maybe not in the short run.

The KT boundary is very thin and can't see it being a significant commercial source. Did you read the reference you cited? It mostly talked about iridium. The Autonews article mostly was talking about neodymium and lanthanum. The article you cited talked about a concentration of iridium of ~455 parts per billion in a very thin layer. I don't think that is going to have much of an impact on the availability of substances mentioned in the Autonews article

This may very well be the case. For sure Wikipedia states that lanthanum and neodymium is not rare at all (see

and
So either you are correct and this was a plant to create a panic or there may be a legitimate short term concerns. When I first read the article I though maybe I should look into US companies that produce the stuff locally (or at least in secure areas). After reading your comments and following up by reading other data, I think investing in these minerals is not a good long term investment. It looks like these commodities might have a short term potential for profit (especially if you already own them), but they are not something I'd want to gamble on.

I have recently seen articles on silicone as well. I don't think they were claiming the raw material was in short supply. Instead I think they were claiming the supply of highly refined pure silicone used for solar cells was potentially constrained. Science News recently had an article on solar cells that touched on this subject ( July 31st, 2010; Vol.178 #3 / The incredible shrinking solar cell ). I can't post that article, but in general it was saying new technoligies reduced the demand for highly refined silicone.

So who do you think is paying me this week? GM, "Detroit" the ethanol industry, the farm industry, metals speculators, Toyota, etc., etc. - ridiculous!

Maybe if you actually read my posts before responding to personal attacks, you would understand that I post, and comment on, things of interest to me (and at times to you since you often comment on the same things). Nobody has to pay me to state my opinion. Just because your opinions are different, it doesn't make it right for you to attack me personally. I have noticed you doing the same thing to other people for no rational reason. If you disagree with someone I think you would be a lot more convincing if you stated your position rationally without all the hyperbole and nastiness you often resort to.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

When I was a kid, most rare earth metals came from Australia, the US, and Brazil. There was a small demand for rare earths in things like vacuum tube manufacturing.

The demand for rare earth metals has skyrocketed since then, in great part due to the use of Sm and Nd in magnets... and as the demand has skyrocketed (most of it in China since most of the world's manufacturing is now in China), the Chinese have opened up mines. Australia, the US, and Brazil are still making plenty, but the Chinese are now making more. And pretty much all of the Nd being sold comes from China.

For a while there was some talk of the Chinese buying up the Australian mining companies that made rare earths, and I don't know what happened to that.

But the honest truth is that there are rare earths in a lot of places, but the Chinese can make them cheaper than anyone else (partly owing to a lack of safety regulations). So they do. And they have caused a lot of the US and Australian mining companies to change their focus due to the sheer economics of the thing.

It would be nice if a lot of people around here did more research before posting.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:i4jg50$23e$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Probably the same thing as what happened in Canada: pin-headed nationalists made a stink, and the feds blocked the Chinks from buying.

No, largely owing to extremely low labor-costs. The government sets pay levels very, very low to ensure that their products will be competitive internationally. Basically, they are beggaring their own people for their own benefit.

A recent spate of strikes and suicides have forced the government to raise pay rates a little bit, but they're afraid to go too high for fear of losing competitiveness. Foreign private companies who operate in China have more flexibility is setting their own pay scales, and many of them raised rates in advance of the government.

All this has been covered, copiously, in the news media in the last couple of months.

That's for sure.

Reply to
Tegger

I remember when there was a Chromium shortage in America.Back in the

1970's, I think it was.Chromium from Africa and Russia. Chromium is very necessary for some things. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

This is true, but you should see the conditions in the Chinese mines, they are the sort of thing that hasn't been allowed in the US since before the depression.

When you have a huge body of inexpensive laborers, you don't really have to care if some of them get killed now and then because you can just replace them with more.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:i4lv6g$fja$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

When you're the government, and there's nobody policing you, and you can put dissenters in jail or to death as a matter of routine, you can pretty much trample the population anytime you want.

China is still a Communist country, remember.

Reply to
Tegger

And that, in short, is why Nd is much cheaper than it was thirty years ago, even corrected for inflation.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:i4minl$8q4$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Correct. It has nothing to do with "safety" regulations.

But hey, screw those Chinks, eh? They knew what they were getting when they voted for Mao, didn't they?

Reply to
Tegger

In message , Tegger writes

Did the proletariat get a vote? With a lot of countries, there is only one candidate, (Zimbabwe anyone?) So they get in regardless of the vote.

Reply to
Clive