TPMS 2003 Vibe vs. 2008 Vibe

I have a 2008 Vibe and want to get a set of used steel wheels on which to get snow tires fitted. The installer (Costco) says they are not allowed to install tires if the vehicle originally had TPMS and does not have functioning TPMS.

I have just discovered that a local junk yard that lets people remove parts themselves has a 2003 Vibe. If I can get the wheels for a good price (with the TPMS sensors, assuming it has them), would they work with the 2008 TPMS? Same frequency, etc.?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

03 won't have TPMS. TPMS didn't start on the Vibe until the 05 model year. Go to carpart.com punch in the information and it will show you salvage yards in your area that have the wheels you are looking for.
Reply to
Steve W.

Used wheels specifically listed as for a Vibe cost more than new after-market wheels from Belle Tire.

What other vehicle is likely to have the right size wheels and compatible TPMS sensors?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Might want to call Toyota and ask if the wheels from a Matrix / Corolla will work. Same vehicle, different name, but I don't know if the electronics are same.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Junk yard prices are often negotiable.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

...depending on availability of the item in question. God help you if you need the only one within 75 miles!

Reply to
The Real Bev

I suspect I have on the order of 100 wrecking yards to choose from, and they're all connected to one another -- call one, and if they don't have it they'll find it for you. Sometimes they'll even bring it from the distant yard to the one you called. They obviously agree among themselves on a price. They also take cores and accept returns. Very helpful. On the whole, I like wrecking-yard guys.

Reply to
The Real Bev

They all go by Hollanders suggested prices. For several summers during school I used to work at a junkyard and that is what we and other yards used.

Junkyards around Houston do not show up on Hollanders or car-part.com. Don't know why. The nearest parts for my 06 Kia are hundreds of miles away.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Last time I bought something at a junkyard was... maybe 20 years ago. Damn. The independent GM guy who fixed my 88 Cad maybe 3 years ago had a real bitch finding one weird throttle part, and couldn't find any of the others.

Gone to the knackers now. Sorry, in a way, but mostly not.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Well, the pick-your-part 2003 Vibe (the only Vibe in the yard) turned out to have only three wheels -- and alloy, which would be much more expensive. I couldn't find any other wheels that seemed to be the correct size* either; I've never seen so many cars without any wheels at all.

  • Costco says they are not allowed to fit tires on non-standard-size wheels. I had to work hard to persuade them to fit snow tires on the
16-in. steelies I got for the 300M; I ended up telling them to pretend it was a Concorde.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Easy way around most of those restrictions. Take the rims/tires ONLY to the store, have the tires you want mounted, balanced. Look up the tire fitment you want before you go as well. Just be aware that you pretty much let them off the hook if you tell them you are installing the tire on a different vehicle than they put down.

Reply to
Steve W.