Trabant.

The old Trabant cars might make a come back.

That James Bond movie where that guy knocked the heck out of the engine in that rear engine car to get it started, was that a Trabant car? Shaken, not stirred. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I understand that many (previously East) Germans had a strong nostalgic attachment for these little beasts, and since the reunification they are digging them out of junk yards to renovate them. Who knows? Maybe a new one would also sell again.

You could disassemble the whole car with an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver.

Reply to
hls

They are neat and fun cars, but I cannot imagine them even coming vaguely close to meeting EU safety and emissions requirements without a total redesign. And with a total redesign they wouldn't be a trabant any more.

Don't forget to carry a fire extinguisher!

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

back.www.zercustoms.com/news/Herpa-Trabant.html

Which movie.

Reply to
John S.

I think it was the Goldeneye movie.The guy working on the rear engine car hits the engine with a sledgehammer and you can hear the sound of the engine start up and running, but the engine's fan isn't turning.It probally wasen't a Trabant car, perhaps an old rear engine Fiat.Of course, in the movies, anything is possible. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It was Golden Eye .

John Kunkel

Yup - I remember that now, and I think it was a Trabbie. The old Trabbies are either cute collectible cars from the cold war era, or nasty, highly polluting, slow, outdated cars depending on your perspective.

There is apparently a nostalgia-based market for a larger reissue of the Trabant. Following in the shoes of Mustang, Chrysler, GM, Cooper, VW, etc.

Reply to
John S.

The MSN UK website has a list of the 10 worst German cars. While such lists are mostly for entertainment it is interesting to note the company the Trabant keeps.

If I were creating such a list the little micro-cars like Isetta, Meserschimtt, Heinkel would be added as wheeled death traps. Or maybe horribly underpowered cars like the Maico or DKW.

John S.

I don't know about that, just look at the Fiat 500.

LOL. Maybe the fuel tank placement wasn't the best, but it did save the use of a fuel pump...

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

I have owned four German death trap vehicles before.A 1958 BMW Isetta I bought from an Air Force Officer when I was in the Army at Scott Air Force Base,Illinois in 1963.A 1961 VW van I bought from Steakley Chevrolet in Killeen,Texas when I was at Fort Hood,Texas in 1965.Later on, I sold that van and I bought a 1963 VW beetle from a guy.In the late

1970s, I bought a 1970 VW van.I don't think I want to own any more death traps.However, there is a guy near me who owns a VW shop and he only mostly works on old VW air cooled engine cars.A few weeks ago when I was coming home from the food store, I noticed an old faded red color 1960s Karman Ghia car sitting in front of his shop.I might get over there someday and see what kind of old VWs he has for sale. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin