trans trouble

What would be the approx cost to rebuild an auto trans? More specifically, a 1998 Taurus SE with the 24V 3.0L engine. The trans is starting to slip at 172,000 miles. Engine runs like brand new.

Reply to
robertosmith1

$1,500 US wouldn't be out of the ballpark.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Reply to
blur

it failed because it's a POS Taurus transmission. Any Taurus in a junkyard probably either has a bad trans or one that is about to go.

nate

Reply to
N8N

True enough Nate, but the guy apparently went 172,000 on the original and that's pretty reasonable. I have seen others outlast the car with good maintenance. I'd like his chances rebuilding the one he has after a firm estimate.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Here in Houston it will run you $2200. I would prefer to rebuild my old case as long as it wore out rather than catastrophically destructed. You won't know the case condition on an unknown used or rebuilt.

Reply to
« Paul »