Transmission Cable on 85 Porsche 944 Needs More Tension

I came into possession of the 85 Porsche in a convoluted way, and I am looking to eventually sell it. A good mechanic has told me that the cable hooked up to the transmission has become fused near the catalytic converter in the tunnel between the front of the car and the back and that it needs to be fixed. He has already attached a spring to the cable to tighten up the tension, but he says that that is not completely effective. When I drive the car, I don't notice much, if any problems. The mechanic told me that the damaged cable only causes shifting to be slower, which is a more pronounced problem at higher speeds. Am wondering what the pros and cons of fixing the cable are. The mechanic told me that the cable's problem is in a difficult area to fix and that it would cost about $450 to fix it. I should add that the car has 213,000 miles but the body is in real good shape and that the engine is running well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
JD