Transmission Failure after Ontario Drive Clean test

Does the Ontario Drive Clean put unreasonable stress on the vehicle's transmission?

For the second time, one of our cars has blown a transmission during or immediately after the test. The first was our 4WD AeroStar back in the first year of the program was in place. They had the van on the test rack and were reving it for what seemed like 10 minutes - I was there and asked them why and they said they had to do that for a AWD vehicle. Sure enough, suddenly the floor is covered with tranny fluid. Coincidence, they said, it must have been ready to fail.

Now, my mother, the typical Sunday driver, with her 7 year old Ford Taurus with 35,000 Miles on it, gets a passing grade yesterday afternoon then drives it the 2 miles home and parkes it in the garage. This morning she can't get the car in gear and the garage floor is covered in transmission fluid. Coincidence again?

Reply to
020SHC

In the first case, the engine had to have been in neutral or park, it could 'not' have been on the dyno in gear because it is an AWD 4x4. If it was, they are at fault for blowing it up by only letting two wheels turn.

Yes, they must rev the engine at a certain rpm, about 2300 for as long as the computer tells them while it does it's test.

As far as the Ford goes, It would have been in gear and turning again at about 2300 rpm. If this killed the tranny, well....

You need to find out just what blew. If they snagged the coolant line when driving it onto or off of the machine, then they should fix it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain