Transmission flush methods

I agree with other posts that flushing a transmission without first changing the filter is silly. I heard this one guy devised a device suck the atf fluid via the dipstick tube.Supposedly he stuck a tube down and vaccum pumped out the fluid. Sounds plausible, but I am not sure if it would get the atf fluid fron the transfer case. The other concern is getting the tubed jammed in the transmission. This sounds like asking for trouble, but who knows...

The other method would be to disconnect atf return line and use a pump. The outbound ATF tube would be disconnected of course.

Reply to
hizark21

People suck oil out of dipstick tubes all the time, especially on boats. I never heard of anyone getting a tube stuck in the pan. Exactly how would one do that? The dipstick never gets stuck in there does it? Admittedly, this is second best to a pan-off drain or a flush, but it can be done in about 15" and done often. The person should know what the condition of the filter is and have changed that some time also. A better plan is to get a pan with a drain plug. Nobody has to "devise" anything. The pump and lines are sold at most boating supply stores and many boating departments or auto departments around the country.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I basically agree, Al.

You can easily and cheaply install a drain plug in the pan you have. Makes it easier to drain when you do a filter replacement and possible adjustments.

I definitely don't subscribe to the pressure flush system, more from the position that it isn't needed than that it may be harmful (which it COULD). It is an added expense that accomplishes little or nothing.

IMHO, keeping the transmission fluid COOL is the single best thing you can do to improve tranny life. After that, regular and timely fluid and filter service should help you keep the innards clean, and in contact with fresh additives in the fluid to decrease wear and keep elastomeric seals in as good condition as possible.

Reply to
<HLS

I'm in complete agreement with your statement. Most auto stores will sell a tranny drain plug for under $10. The pan has to come off to change the filter and when it is off, simply drill a 1/2 hole in the pan to install the plug. On my van I just put it in the lowest area of the pan. If the car sits fairly low to the pavement, you can put it in the side of the pan. (As in a Taurus recently) In the case of the Taurus, which has a shady reputation for tranny reliability, I drop the plug every other time it is due for service and let it drain until it is empty. This will probably get about a 1/3 of the oil out and in about 25K miles, you will have done a complete tranny oil change. It's far cheaper (and safer on your car) than the tranny flush that your dealer pushes. Of course, if you've got a newer automatic that no longer has a dipstick, things can get a little more complicated. But, hey. That's progress.

Reply to
Kruse

According to Alldata, to change trans fluid in the Taurus...open the line that returns fluid from the trans cooler, run the engine until no more fluid comes out, shut it down, drop the pan and replace the filter, re-install the pan (doh!), add nine quarts of fluid, run again until empty, then reconnect the line and put nine more quarts back in. Run it thru the gears a couple times, then check the fluid level while running in Park and make sure it's correct, and you're done. I'd think that procedure would work for about any car. I'd also think you'd want to shut it down pretty quickly once the fluid ran out. You'd also have to dispose of almost five gallons of fluid.

Reply to
M.M.

Sounds effective, but messy and costly, sigh. But, then, beats a trashed tranny.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03