transmission module replacement update - 2001 dodge caravan

It is a 2001 dodge caravan se, 3.3l engine.

The initial problem

-------------------------

all the indicator lights (PRN3DL) would come on when it is started. Sometimes when I shift gears, it will move to define the R or D or N, etc. Other times all the lights will come on so you do not know where the shift position actually is. The shift itself and the transmission seem to go into position properly, it is the indicator that is messed up. Sometimes you know it is in D, but L will come on. Sometimes the van will not move as a result. Othertimes you can move through the gears and it will display properly.

Once it is gear and moving, it all seems to work exactly as it should from the perspective of the automatic shifting, etc under all different loads, speeds, and acceleration.It has about 93K on it and the transmission oil was changed at about

45K.

I just replaced the transmission control module with a used, but tested one.

My issue with the selection indicators is gone. BUT now it will not shift out of second gear (maybe 3rd - not sure - for sure no overdrive). The girlfriend said it started doing this last week before I got the new module....

It throws and error code P01 1768 with the new module.

Wondering if it needs reprogramming (same part number and year) or if I now have a secondary issue....

Reply to
BSAKing

the trans is in limp in mode and the codes need to pulled and then erased to see if they reset! if they doreset then you have the real issue showing up in the last 5 years of fixing cars for a living i have only replaced 2 computers that really needed them everybody blames the computers first most times it is bad sensors and wiring and the days of getting puters from a salvage yards are coming to a end unless you want to replace them all!. do to antitheft systems and optons the trans controller has a assigned vin from the pcm and now you have a mismatched vin that alone can put it into limp in mode you could cost yourself thousands of dollars in damage take it in

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:

mr.som ting wong

ed to see if they reset!

puters that really needed them

less you want to replace them all!.

smatched vin

Had a shorted transmission solenoid in addition to a bum computer. I suspect the computer may have taken the solenoid with it since they are interconnected, but who knows?

Works ok now. It did not need reprogramming nor is it tied to the VIN they tell me. It is tied to the gear ratio/tire radius. They call it the PIN - forget what it stands for.

Had it been a new module it would have needed to be flashed, as it was, it was reset. It already had the correct info in it.

In any event it works now....

Reply to
BSAKing