Transmission noise?

Yes, the car is going to a mechanic, but not for a couple of days (being the weekend and all) and yes I'm looking for wild guesses.

Just recently my girlfriend's 94 Civic has started making noise on acceleration.

The noise comes *only* when in gear and *only* when pressing on the gas. Revving the engine when in neutral or with the clutch engaged does not produce the noise, and the enging coasting at high RPM's does not produce the noise.

It's sort of a medium-pitched whine that sounds like it's *in addition to* the regular transmission/engine sound.

Reply to
Jon C

Wild guess 1 Worn internal gears Wild guess 2 Worn or defective bearings Wild guess 3 Tranmission fluid low or empty..................Have seen this happen. Wild guess 4 A parasitic vibration of some loose part...Have seen this before too.

Reply to
<HLS

Does the noise happen in *EVERY* gear, including reverse? (might have to find a lonely road to get up to speed in rev)

Does the noise happen at high speeds or low speeds or all speed ranges?

Is it a "vibration" noise (as in something loose) or is it a "groaning" noise, as if hard metal against hard metal?

Reply to
mst

All speed ranges, all gears. It is directly proportional in volume to the regular transmission sound, and is very noticeable even when just starting to move in first gear.

Again, it only makes the noise when pressing on the accelerator while in any gear.

It's sort of a smooth medium-pitched whine. Almost a little bit like a car normally sounds in reverse.

It's strange, I know..

Reply to
Jon C

I might also note that it went from normal to this overnight. One day it wasn't happening, and the next day it just was.

Reply to
Jon C

Had a similar situation with my daughter's Mitsu. Loose heat shield on exhaust.

Reply to
NickySantoro