Transmission not catching

1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl

In the last couple of days it started doing this, but only right after I stop hard. If I stop normally it starts back in gear like it always did, but after I stop hard then it hesitates to catch first gear for about half a second.

Indicative of anything? I haven't checked the transmission fluid yet since this only happened a few times.

What's the shelf life of transmission fluid? My can is 5 years old since I only need to add a bit at a time.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

My first thought is that the tranny is probably acting the same in both cases, but when you stop fast you're getting back on the gas sooner, so you notice the slow shifting. But if you stop slower it's already in gear by the time you hit the gas.

If it's in the bottle, forever. If it's in the transmission, somewhat less. A guy who runs a transmission shop once told me 90% of his business is the result of people not changing their ATF once a year.

So, if it were my car, the first thing I'd do is change the fluid. I've had that fix minor problems like yours, that were the result of the fluid being dirty or old. Don't know if it'll fix yours, but it's worth a shot.

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Youngquist

Check the fluid.... and yes this is going to sound snarky, but WHY would you even ask any question at all here before doing something so basic?

If its a little low, then when it all goes rushing to the front of the pan under a hard stop, the pickup on the bottom of the valve body may suck air and drop the car out of gear until the system can "re prime" itself.

Reply to
Steve

Right, sorry. Well, I haven't been on level ground in daylight in the past few days. :)

But I might have been biased because it was checked last month and never needed frequent attention before.

Thanks, and Dan too.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Does the clutch feel looser than normal? When it _does_ catch properly, is the pressure point on the clutch at the same place that it used to be before this started?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I should have mentioned that it's automatic. Sorry.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Don't forget motor mounts... I had what seemed be a slip-and-catch problem that turned out to be 2 broken mounts letting the engine flop around.

Reply to
tylernt

its a 4cyl so who cares lol jkin round but did u ever think that when u stop hard u do knock the mounts around? a easy way t check is to just lift up o the transmission were its got rubber on one side if it comes up 2 centimeters or more then it needs to be replaced or remounted but it could be somthin basic or simple i had same prob wit a tahoe once

Reply to
(namegoeshere)

Since we now know that this is an automatic, coupled to a 4 cylinder, maybe we can say a bit more.

Slow engagement of an automatic transmission often equates to restricted or low hydraulic fluid line pressure. You may have a fouled valve body or other parts, or you may have a loss of line pressure, for whatever reason.

Has this transmission EVER been serviced? EVER?

For a car this old, it is not unthinkable that the tranny is waving the white flag. But, if you havent serviced it, in a coon's age, change the fluid and filter and see if it buys you anything. It may not.

Everything wears out with age, even me.

Reply to
<HLS