Transmission Oil overfilled

I sent my 94 camry to auto shop to Auto shop to replace transmission oil last month. I found the Oil level is a little higher than Max mark(around 5mm higher) when the engine is started (hot and idle, the transmission in P position). Will this damage the transmission or affect it performance? Should I ignore it( I am thinking just 5mm higher )? Please advice.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack Li

Mike Walsh

It's fine as long as it shifts properly. My 85 S10 shifts extremely high if it's even slightly overfilled, removing fluid means taking the transmission pan off, 12 bolts and one hell of a mess.

Reply to
paint8oy

transmission

You don't have to take the pan off to remove fluid. You can always unhook one of the tranny cooler lines and turn the engine over a couple times and allow some of the fluid to be pumped out.

It's not fine as long as it shifts properly. If your tranny is way overfilled (over 1 or more quarts), the tranny will shift fine and then as the problem persists, the tranny will start to fail and by the time you realize "it's not shifting properly" the damage will already be done. 5 mm higher sounds like maybe half a quart overfilled if even that..

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

What Bruce said! It's like 2/10 of an inch on the stick. If it really troubles you there is a pump called Mighty Vac at Sears, KMart etc. You can stick the hose down the trans filler tube and pump a bit out. Costs about $10. I have one I use on my Caddy. Once a year I pump 4 quarts of ATF and replace with fresh. Cheap insurance.

Reply to
D F Bonnett