Trivia Q: What's the REAL reason for the weep hole on water pump snouts?

Hint - it has nothing to do with water leaking.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was told it was to protect the bearing from coolant ingress.

My Honda's factory shop manual tells me weepage from that hole is normal.

Reply to
Tegger

Two things. One it allows atmospheric pressure in to allow the seals to remain seated. If the hole was missing, as the bearings and housing heat up the air pressure behind the seal would increase and damage the seal.

Second is that it also does allow you to check the status of the seal by checking for leakage.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in news:hj7grq$qlf$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Quoting from several Honda factory manuals I have: "NOTE: Small amount of "weeping" from the bleed hole is normal."

Quoting from a Toyota factory manual: "Visually check the water hole for coolant leakage. If leakage is found, replace the water pump."

I'm confused.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

WTF? Every manual I've ever read (NB: I've never owned a Honda, nor in fact any Japanese car) says that coolant weeping out of the hole is a sign that you should schedule an appointment with your helping friendly mechanic.

nate

Reply to
N8N

That Honda factory manual is Right. Some houses and buildings have weep holes too, but that is a whole nother story. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I was considering trying an ex-wife joke ......

Reply to
ben91932

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@14g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

My eyes ain't lyin', I can tell you that. It says "seepage is normal", plain as day, in all six Honda shop manuals I checked.

Reply to
Tegger

I would guess it has something to do with pressure buiding up in the pump...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A couple of you are pretty close. The reason for the "weep hole" is that without it, it would not be possible to press the bearing into place due to trapped air. I think I saw this on a water pump manufacturers web page at one time.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

What about pilot bearings/ bushings, I don't recall ever seeing a weep hole in the crankshaft

Reply to
anniejrs

And the water pumps that have two weep holes?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

At first it sounded as though you had absolutely correct information, but then you said "I think I saw this...". A bit contradictory, no?

Reply to
Tegger

They are not sealed like a water pump bearing.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hey, he did use the word "trivia." Anyway, I think the weep hole is there to let you know the water pump needs replacing. Always worked for me.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

We probably don't know the real reason for the existence weep holes. However, the only thing we need to know is that they exist and they're our friends. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Except that your thought isn't applicable to Hondas.

Reply to
Tegger

Don't buy it. The bearing's go in first, into an empty housing. No way for air to get trapped.

Reply to
twisted

twisted wrote in news:490b73cb-540e-4bb1-b11e- snipped-for-privacy@d30g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

It's to protect the bearing in case coolant should leak past the seal.

That's what I was told.

Reply to
Tegger

Car #1 had no weepage from the hole, pump did not leak after I cleaned the cooling system with Prestone oxalic acid/baking soda treatment.

Car #2 had weepage that for years never dripped to the ground. Pump leaked a stream after same oxalic acid/baking soda cleaning.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me