trouble adjusting carb

I am trying to adjust my four barrel carb (edelbrock performer series carb w/ electronic choke).

I can get my car started and warmed up. In park the engine idles at about 1000 RPM. When I try to put the car in gear (automatic trans) the idle speed drops to 600 and runs really rough and wants to die.

Is it possible that I have set the idle mixture screws too lean and the idle speed screw so high that the engine will idle in park, but is fuel starved when in gear?

How should I start from scratch on adjusting this carb? Should I set the mixture screws to very rich and then adjust the idle speed to where I want it, then adjust the mixture?

Any comments are certainly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Reply to
K. Elliot

||I am trying to adjust my four barrel carb (edelbrock performer series ||carb w/ electronic choke). || ||I can get my car started and warmed up. In park the engine idles at ||about 1000 RPM. When I try to put the car in gear (automatic trans) ||the idle speed drops to 600 and runs really rough and wants to die. || ||Is it possible that I have set the idle mixture screws too lean and ||the idle speed screw so high that the engine will idle in park, but is ||fuel starved when in gear? || ||How should I start from scratch on adjusting this carb? Should I set ||the mixture screws to very rich and then adjust the idle speed to ||where I want it, then adjust the mixture?

Why don't you set the parking brake, have someone inside with their foot on the brake pedal, then adjust for a good idle in Drive. Then go back to neutral and work on that angle. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Thank you. snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this e-mail please remove the AT (as shown above) from the reply to address.

Reply to
KG

Get a vacuum gage and adjust for highest vacuum and lowest reasonable rpm, at the highest load idle, such as, being in drive with air conditioner and high lights on.

Thank you. snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this e-mail please remove the AT (as shown above) from the reply to address.

Reply to
KG

Jim- The cam/lifters were replaced about 12 years ago with a cam that was near stock specs (dont ask for specifics, unfortunatley I dont have the info available.) Kevin

Reply to
K. Elliot