Truck stalls while in neutral

Hello,

I have a 1996 4cyc Somonna, the problem that I am having is that when the truck is rolling at speeds around 40km/h while in neutral or when the truck is in gear with the clutch pushed in, the oil pressure drops and then the truck stalls. When driving and while stopped and idling everything is fine.....

Any ideals? Justin

Reply to
jsc0tt

The drop in op is just a function of lower (or, zero) rpm's of the engine. What happens if, instead of depressing clutch at 40km/h, ~25 m/h?, you downshift to a lower gear (or to lower gears as it approaches a stop)? Depending on what gear you are in when you begin to stop, the truck may be revved too high to warrant a depression of clutch just yet. So, what does it do if the clutch is depressed when the truck has slowed to ~ 12 m/h ( ~20 km/h?)? If it continues running ok, then I'd try to adjust my driving habits. If you analyze it from the extreme, say depressing clutch at 60 km/h, you are obviously doing it too soon. If you do so at 5 km/h, you are obviously waiting too late. There is an ideal speed at which to depress it. Methinks you have not found it, yet. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

How many miles on it? Has either the brand of oil or weight of oil been changed lately? (I have a Sonoma, too, btw.) If higher mileage, & with no changes in the 2 parameters above, the sending unit may be exaggerating the change in pressure--could feasibly do that & yet be close to accurate after rpm's level off. It really shouldn't cut off even when depressing clutch at the higher speeds you mentioned, so maybe a good tuneup, checking for vacuum leaks, in concert with a good analysis from proper scanning equipment, may fix your problem. Obviously something is causing engine to at least partially die when decelerating. Don't forget the over-sensitivity of a worn o/p sending unit. HTH, & good luck. s

Reply to
sdlomi2