truck tires on a Ford Escape?

I'm thinking of getting a 2006 or 2007 Ford Escape. I'm not sure about the original Continental tires, so I might replace them with Michelins. I got very good service from a set of Michelin LTX tires on a full-sized GM van, so I'm considering putting the similar tires on an Escape. The Escape is a lighter vehicle than the van I had, maybe too light for truck tires. Would the truck tires tend to roughen the ride a lot, or might it be just a matter of using the right tire pressure?

Reply to
Tim B

Michelin LTX tires are actually P series tires.....In other words, not a problem.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Dunno that there's anything wrong with Continentals, except maybe three years of wear and tear on those specific ones. But you've gotta buy new tires sometime, so here goes...

I don't know that there is such a thing as being too light to *have* LT tires, but there is such a thing as being too light to want to put up with their disadvantages in speed rating and handling in order to get their advantages, assuming that you don't carry really heavy loads or go offroad. (An SUV that has gotten a sharp rock through the sidewall of its otherwise quite adequate passenger tire is a sad sight

-- especially if it happens to more tires than the guy has spares!)

I have a full-size Chevy van myself, used on-road only, and run suitably sized passenger tires on it. On my Jeep Wagoneer, which saw rougher service and occasional offroading, I had LT tires with a moderate all-terrain tread. Different horses for different courses and all that...

Some information that might be useful for background:

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera