True Snow Tires Question

Hello,

Live in New England, outside of Boston. So, get a fair amount of snow each winter, but not like Northern Maine, e.g.

Daughter in Law has a 2011 Hyundai Elantra, and a new kid.

She's very concerned sabout getting stuck in the winter, and is willing to get 4 new snow tires (the true snow's; not some all-weather version) and go thru the trouble of changing tires twice a year.

Would like to ask, please:

Tried to find some reasonably new issue of CR that rates true snow tires, but haven't been able to. Is there such an issue ?

and, the basic question:

Is there any brand and tire model that is generally thought of and acknowledged as being "best" in true snow tires ?

Opinions for her 2011 Hyundai Elantra would be most appreciated.

Any to stay away from ? Folks still go for studs ? Legal ?

Thanks, appreciate the help, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Best source of unbiased ratings and user reviews is

I would recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks on new steel rims as best _ICE_ and snow tire. Does the Elantra have AWD ?? If so, all 4 tires must be same type/size, etc.

Reply to
Reed

Bridgestone Blizzaks Goodyear Ultra Grip Would be my choices. Studs are good on ICE or very hard packed snow. On bare pavement they actually reduce traction, plus they are NOISY.

Either way get a set of STEEL wheels to install the new tires on. Saves the rims, allows much faster tire swaps and if she does slide and hit's a curb the steel rims can be straightened while cast/aluminum can fail.

Reply to
Steve W.

Check out the reviews on Tire Rack and also check their web site for specials. I picked up some Dunlop Winter Sports for very cheap a couple years ago when I was driving a Porsche 944 (which pretty much requires snow tires; apparently Michelin has discontinued all-season tires in the size that car requires, so my only choice for regular tires were Yoko AVS which aren't even all-season rated.)

Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapellittas seem to be consistently well-regarded, FWIW. I didn't put that much thought into it because really where I live we don't typically get Real Snow save for once every

5-10 years or so. (we did get Real Snow one year while I had the 944, but it was so much that I wasn't getting out in anything short of a lifted 4WD - there was close to three feet on the ground at that point! just keeping the driveway shoveled involved going outside and starting again every couple hours, and it took a day or two for the city to get around to clearing my street...)

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Anything from Hakkapellita.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

All weather like blizzaks, are best on light snowfall and icy. Snow tires have less grip on these conditions. Thick snow does not usually last long, so all weather usually work best for the long haul.

Blizzaks is just a name, they sell many versions in that line.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I count 14 different blizzaks. I use Cooper weathermaster. These kinds of tires wear fast but are sticky because of all the flexible flaps.

Greg

Reply to
gregz