two cycle oil into fuel system

anyone tried this method:

sounds a bit like oxygen sensors or catalyst would be plugged

Reply to
sam

"sam" wrote in news:i9kqu8$orq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Well,not "plugged", but possibly have their lives shortened by the amount of ZDDP anti-wear additive. I'm guessing 2-stroke oils probably have quite a lot more ZDDP than approved motor oils.

Plus, since "Sarge" is adding the oil to the /fuel/, that means /all/ the ZDDP is being burnt, rather than just what might squeak past the rings if it were in the oil instead.

I'm kinda suspicious of Sarge's comment that todays fuels are "very dry". Modern fuels already contain a light oil to help lubricate the injectors and fuel pump. Sarge appears not to know that.

Considering that O2/AF sensors and cats tend to fail about every 150/175K these days anyway, and considering the cost of those items, my personal preference would be to stick with most automakers' offical recommendations and not use any additives at all.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9E16BB8C254BCtegger@208.90.168.18:

Very dry by definition would mean no water. I'd tend to disagree. Has

*anyone* ever done a proper seintific study of such? By that I mean getting a group of brand new identical never used cars, and breaking them into three groups: normal recommended gas and oil and maintenance, no maintenance but everything else remaining the same and normal gas and oil and an additive?

Run them for 10 years (or 100K or however long group 2 lasts - whichever comes first) and then examine the engines completely.

Reply to
chuckcar

That is an old trick from long, long ago (well before oxygen sensors and closed loop mixture management). The idea was as a valve lubricant and maybe the top rings. As I remember the idea, it was only a periodic treatment, not for use every fillup. I think peope used a pint per fill up.

Commercial fuel treatments were widely available, but this was a bit cheaper and supposed to do the same thing. Never tried it myself, but it was popular back in day when STP, Rislone, and products like that were the rage- days of first overhead valve V8s.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I dont see any reason to do this anymore. Modern gasoline has some very advanced and effective additives. "Upper cylinder lubricants" are just not needed.

If you get a really nasty engine, varnish, sticking valve lifters, I do believe that there is a place for alternative oil treatments.. If you change your oil optimally, you may never need these.. If you let the engine get nasty, however, you might benefit from the use of one of these type product.s

Reply to
hls