U.S.Post Office mail delivery vans

What does the Post Offices do with those vans when they get old enough? What engines do the vans have? I assume they have automatic transmissions. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:29961-47CF2DC3-66@storefull-

3256.bay.webtv.net:

Around here they seem to auction them off the way the cops auction off old police cars. I sometimes see them being used by courier services in large urban areas.

Tegger

If you mean the LLVs that are based on S-10 chassis. Early units have the 2.5 with a TH250 trans, later ones have the 2.2. They auction them off. Locally though an average citizen cannot buy them. They will sell them to rural carriers or to other courier services.

Reply to
Steve W.

Like a previous poster stated, the ones that I've seen had a GM platform. I've talked to some people who have got them at an auction. Not sure about needing to be a postal employee.

About a year ago our UPS driver came with a new Dodge/Mercedes van. I asked her what they do with the old ones. She told me they got crushed. Her old one had a one week old tranny and tires that had only a few hundred miles on them and they crush all of the van. She told me they don't sell parts to the public or reunse any of the parts because of courtroom liability.

You wonder why shipping costs are so high.

Reply to
Kruse

Search for the General Accounting Office website, and you should be able to find what is up for sale/auction. I found it recently, but didnt make a bookmark for it.

Reply to
HLS