Ultimate wire harness?

Hey, let's say one wanted to put together their own "dream" wire harness using top quality wire, connectors, retaining clips, loom, fuse block/breaker panel, etc.

This would be for a custom built offroad vehicle so no off the shelf option exists.

Thanks

Jay

Reply to
jj

Okay. Sounds fine to me.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

OK, lets say one wanted to put together one.

OK, it would be for custom offroad vehicle.

You've left me hanging - what is the point of this message.

Reply to
John S.

sure it does, there's several mfgrs. that build fuse blocks with extra-long, marked leads for all the common accessories for just this purpose. Now what's the best of *those?* Don't have an answer for you; the only "custom" vehicles I've had were my old '49 Chev street rod project, which I threw a wiring harness and fuseblock in from an old Chevy pickup (worked like a champ, believe it or not, but I sold the car before it ever got driveable) and my current '55 Stude, which I managed to salvage the stock wiring harness from (it was originally 6V, so the wires are nice and beefy. 8 gauge from the generator even, so it should still be good with my Delco alternator)

I will say this, one wire alternators are a shortcut. Speedway sells a little adapter harness with a diode in it to use a 3-wire Delco without an idiot light. I've noticed a distinct increase in charging since switching to a 3-wire. Voltage still drops off at idle though, and I've checked my pulley ratio and everything (greater than 3:1 which is what I've heard to be the guideline,) and the sense wire is connected where it should be, at the starter solenoid (i.e. the end of the battery cable) not sure why that is...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Good idea but it's been done before.

Reply to
« Paul »

What vendors/manufacturer would you recommend for these components? What type of wire insulation is the best for such an application? What style of connector would maintain a solid electrical connection yet be easy to disconnnect even though it is exposed to water, dirt, etc.

Reply to
jj

Surprisingly, crimped connectors can be more reliable than soldered ones. Unless tied down VERY well, the solder wicks up into stranded wire, leaving a solid-to-stranded transistion point that is subject to breaking under vibration. Crimped connectors are popular in aerospace industry. You can even buy "certified" crimping tools.

Use standed wire because it is more vibration resistant.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

try here:

Steve Walker