Understanding "recycled" chassis drivetrains

Hello all,

I have a quick question about how the auto manufacturers use a single chassis for multiple cars.

For example, Honda uses the same chassis (apparently) for the CR-V and the Civic, or at least did at one point.

In an application like this, are drivetrains interchangeable? For example, if I had a Civic transmission, could I drop it into the CR-V? (assuming they both had the same power-to-the-wheels approach, i.e. both AWD or both not)

Similarly, the Honda Odyssey is supposedly based on the Accord chassis. Could I use an Accord tranny in the Odyssey?

Thanks in advance, Josh

Reply to
Josh

for multiple cars.

Civic, or at least did at one point.

I had a Civic transmission, could I drop it into the CR-V? (assuming they both had the same power-to-the-wheels approach, i.e. both AWD or both not)

I use an Accord tranny in the Odyssey?

It depends on the specifics what will just fit into what with swapping parts. There are no general answers.

Reply to
Brent P

yes. no. maybe.

Sometimes, the cars are virtually the same other than decals, other times you'd never guess it's the same platform.

Best way is to get the shop manuals for both, interchange manuals, or wander around the junkyard or find a forum on the specific models you seek to crossbreed.

Another way would be to do parts lookups on both. Even then, just because they both use the same oil filter doesn't mean anything...

It really is a case of yes. no. maybe.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Josh wrote in news:0tMwj.102795$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

It would be more accurate to say the CR-V shares its structure and engine family with the Integra/RSX (which are themselves Civic-based).

No. Not without at least some machine-shop fabrication, anyway.

The Civic uses totally different engines and transmissions from the CR-V/Integra/RSX.

CR-V transmissions have different ratios from Integra/RSX ones.

That _may_ be doable, but you'd have to prepare yourself for at least some fabrication, plus you'd probably be dealing with different ratios there, too.

Reply to
Tegger