uneven tire wear

Because it's impossible?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

It's not impossible simply because you don't know how to do it.

Reply to
dsi1

I agree completely with what you're saying, but that is not what I call "checking the toe". I don't care how good your eyes are, or how sensitive your hands are, you are not going to tell me the toe readings, other than in or out. And you're not going to tell me anything at all if they're new, rotated, or otherwise swapped tires. And regardless of what you do see, you still need to check all the parts, and then you need alignment equipment. Reading tires can tell you only that there is a problem, but you need proper equipment to find out exactly what the problem is, in almost all cases.

But you know all that. dsi1 does not seem to.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Keep on speculating about what this problem could be. This problem is simple to diagnose but you have to proceed in a logical manner. First rule out a worn bearing. Then make sure the problem is not caused by a camber adjusting bolt.

The toe-in thing is a complete red herring. Some of you guys seem fixated on toe-in. It might be a problem but it's not THE problem. Take care of the camber issue first. If you think that the first check for an alignment problem is to use specialized equipment instead of reading the tires, then all this must be rocket science to you.

Reply to
dsi1

I am not the one speculating. There is only one way to find the real problem, and that is with proper equipment. I have changed hundreds of control arms, struts, and other suspension parts, and I aligned the vehicles after every repair. The alignment was never even close after any repair. It doesn't matter if the mounting holes are slotted - the parts are never identical, although control arms can be pretty close. The OP replaced control arms and struts. It needs to go on an alignment machine.

This is absurd. The first check is to inspect for bad suspension and steering parts. The next step is the alignment machine. What on earth is the point of reading the tires? If you read the tires, and decide it's camber, then what? Align it by eye? What about caster? Same thing? Toe? How about toe on turns? Or do you think you can always see a bent knuckle, even with no reason to suspect one?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

That's fine with me. You probably need to focus your attention on the OP who seems resistant to that idea instead of implying that I believe I can divine alignment numbers simply by looking at and feeling a tire.

Reply to
dsi1