Universal ECM

I'm curious - does such a thing exist? Something like a generic ECM that will plug in and work with most engines, probably not in the most efficient fashion but gets the job done.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I doubt it seriously - I mean, ECM program changes can happen from one year to the next, even for the same model vehicle.

Reply to
mst

Well, but core functionality is pretty simple and remains the same for all vehicles: adjust injector pulse width based on O2 sensor readings, and taking into account MAP/MAF sensors. Of course performance will be sub-optimal compared to original ECU but things _should_ work...

Peter

Reply to
Peter

"Peter" wrote

How many injectors? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12 ? Sequential or batch-fire? What sequence? Port injection or throttle body? What kind of O2 sensor, zirconium (changing voltage) or titania (changing resistance)? How many O2 sensors? How many other sensors? Does it also have to control the ignition? How many spark plugs? Distributor? Coil packs? Coil-on-plug? How does the ECU know where #1 is? Crank sensor? Cam sensor? Does the ECU control the fuel pump? On/off or variable speed using supply voltage? I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on...........

Reply to
MasterBlaster

All those parameters are reasonably easy to configure via software. Of course the ECM has to be more sophisticated than stock ones to do this.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

True enough, but if the car companies had all worked together on a standard hook -up, couldn't the individual model differences have been handled by custome chips?

Reply to
Al Bundy

No, no such thing exists.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

In article , MasterBlaster > >> that will plug in and work with most engines, probably not in the

Yes, but these are all software changes. It would be interesting to make a generic ECU that you could drop into any car, with a different (and user modifiable) software load for a variety of different engine models.

It could just be a black box with a bunch of analogue and digital inputs and outputs, and screw terminals. You'd need to make a wiring harness with the right connector for your vehicle, since Ford and BMW use very different connectors. But the levels are all similar.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If this is more sophisticated than stock computers, who develops them and at what cost? What do they cost the end customer in relationship to mass produced OEM computers?

Reply to
Walter

Absolutely possible. A generic computer setup could be software and pin configured to do the job for all cars, if the car companies had worked together. I have no doubt of this whatsoever.

Reply to
<HLS

And the car manufacturers will spend a huge amount of money hoping that THEY and ONLY THEY can manufacture these little magic boxes. Isn't there a lawsuit where the aftermarket manufacturers are suing to get the OEM software codes for all these? Last I heard (about a year ago) that the fight was ongoing and it will be tied up for years in the courts....... Dealership shops charge a lot of money for flashing and reflashing the software codes. They don't want to lose out on that gravytrain.

Reply to
Kruse

Yes, a bunch of folks were just talking about one on another group.

This is not a 'plug and play' unit, it seems to be heavy on the 'play' part before you plug, but anyway.

This link worked yesterday but I can't getthrough today.

And here is another company selling one:

Mike

Peter wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just speculating, Walter....

A generic computer would be slightly more complicated, possibly, but only slightly more expensive or no more expensive at all. Large runs make this sort of technology cheap.

Programmable ROM chips would reserve the 'highly confidential' nature of the individual manufacturers software. This would preserve the expensive and profitable parts situations for the dealerships.

And I would estimate the cost of such a computer at one third or one fourth of what you have to pay at the dealership today.

Reply to
<HLS

Hogwash.

With a few mouse clicks, I can have virtually any flashable software to download thru my pass-thru device.

Just takes a subscription.

The original question was, "does a universal ECM exist?"

No, it doesn't.

You answered (erroneously) 'is the aftermarket locked out of the reflash business?'

Reply to
aarcuda69062

From the Q&A on that page; However, for those applications for which sequential injection is desirable, Bowling and Grippo are working on a ' router board ' for MegaSquirt-II which WIL do sequential injection (and can be used to operate COP ignition systems as well). It will likely not be released until mid-2006.

If it isn't even available yet, how can it be universal?

From the last paragraph on that page; "Remember, there are many combinations you can select, all of which vary the price considerably. For that reason we do not offer completed kits."

Hardly universal.

Neither site mentions OBD2 capability/compatibility.

Again, no, it doesn't exist.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Where do you get this malarky?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That's a lot of ifs...if my sister had balls she would be my brother...if Apple & Microsoft had worked together both OSes would run on any hardware...sounds about as realistic as what you describe!

GoGators

Reply to
GoGators

The best answer, at this stage, is to do the remapping yourself, with custom-built (or built yourself) hardware.

For example, with my '95 Chevy, I can reset the shift points for the tranny or change the temperature at which the radiator fans come on.

You can also have a shop with those facilities do it for you. There are also mail-order business that will remap the ECU/M to meet your requirements (or sell rebuilts). Well, but core functionality is pretty simple and remains the same for all vehicles: adjust injector pulse width based on O2 sensor readings, and taking into account MAP/MAF sensors. Of course performance will be sub-optimal compared to original ECU but things _should_ work... Besides moving an ECU/M from one car to the next, what's the advantage of a universal ECU/M?

Peter mentioned: "Well, but core functionality is pretty simple and remains the same for all vehicles: adjust injector pulse width based on O2 sensor readings, and taking into account MAP/MAF sensors. Of course performance will be sub-optimal compared to original ECU but things _should_ work..."

On my vehicle, readings come in from more than just the OS, MAP/MAF ... and the ECU/M controls MORE than just injector pulse. This universal ECU/M will have to be an all-inclusive tool. The last sentence is all telling, however: "... performance will be sub-optimal...".

Reply to
mst

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but not malarky at all. The technical issue is quite different from the commercial issue.

Companies have to reserve some sort of 'highly confidentil' bullshit so that they can charge you an arm an a leg. Otherwise, they will never buy into something that might help the consumer.

It truly is bullshit, but it is also the saleable truth.

Reply to
<HLS

There was a lawsuit by the aftermarket companies against the auto manufacturers. I've read about it several times and I know it was about software code that they wanted. I'll have to research it and find out exactly what they were filing a lawsuit about. If I find it, I'll post back later. If I don't, thanks for the info.

Reply to
Kruse