UPDATED: Q RE: GM 4x4 "wax motors" and when they were replaced with somethingbetter...

The plot thickens... It seems my truck ('97 K3500, 10,000 GVWR, build

5/97) was built with the new actuator setup. Probably explains why I never had a problem with it before. Unfortunately that also means the the schematics in the '97 factory manual set (ordered at the same time as the truck) are incorrect for my truck and not too helpful in troubleshooting the current problem.

I've noted that the time relay (12182086) looks like it had a meltdown of sorts. Pulling the cover on it I see that there is a power transistor (MOSFET I think) that seems to have become very toasty to the point of it melting into the plastic baseplate and just about desoldering itself from the PCB.

Without the correct schematic it's difficult to test and isolate whether this time relay meltdown is the cause of the problem or the result of a problem downstream with the actuator or transfer case syncro.

If someone has the correct schematic they could point me to, post somewhere or email me (remove .DOH.) I'd appreciate it. It would be nice if they had updated the factory manuals (GMT/97-CK-1 / GMT/97-CK-2) properly.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.