Used Fiat 500s everywhere

The new Fiat 500 seems neat. Not something that would fit my needs, but co ol nonetheless. Interestingly though, they've not been on the market for v ery long and yet I see used ones everywhere, most under 10K miles. One loc al Dodge dealer is advertising 17 used 500s in the paper, and a few pages o ver another dealer has 12.

Is this phenomenon happening near you folks too? Any ideas why these would have so much turnover? Leases? Buyer's remorse? Reliability issues? Is the U.S. not ready for a city car?

Reply to
/dev/phaeton

I think some buyers started thinking those little Fiat cars are just too li ttle. Many, many years ago there was a Fiat assembly plant in Poug hkeepsie, New York. Also, many, many years ago there was a Mercedes Benz pl ant in New York, and a Rolls Royce plant in Massachusetts.

Reply to
JR

Maybe its a northern big city thing? I have only seen one in Texas and one in Louisiana. They would not survive long where I go. Maybe half a day at most.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

nonetheless. Interestingly though, they've not been on the market for very long and yet I see used ones everywhere, most under 10K miles. One local Dodge dealer is advertising 17 used 500s in the paper, and a few pages over another dealer has 12.

have so much turnover? Leases? Buyer's remorse? Reliability issues? Is the U.S. not ready for a city car?

Hopefully, the Fiat, high depreciation rate is still in effect for the marque. I'd like to get one!

Reply to
dsi1

A few weeks ago I saw an old 1970s Fiat that was for sale, about a mile Wes t of me. I haven't seen any new Fiats running around here. I haven't seen a ny new, or old Rover vehicles running around either.There is a Rover dealer ship about ten miles North of me.

Reply to
JR

t cool nonetheless.  Interestingly though, they've not been on the market for very long and yet I see used ones everywhere, most under 10K miles.  One local Dodge dealer is advertising 17 used 500s in the paper, and a f ew pages over another dealer has 12.

ould have so much turnover?  Leases?  Buyer's remorse? Reliability issu es?

Buyer remorse is a composite. reliability issues most likely with it being fiat

there is Mini which is arguably better (better go cart, better value in a stripper, maybe no so when you add all the options)

but it's good to have competition in the tiny lux segment

personally I'd vote for the miniscule rwd benz if I needed something this small

if you live in manhattan and have aversion to cabs this is just the ticket

Reply to
AD

nonetheless. Interestingly though, they've not been on the market for very long and yet I see used ones everywhere, most under 10K miles. One local Dodge dealer is advertising 17 used 500s in the paper, and a few pages over another dealer has 12.

have so much turnover? Leases? Buyer's remorse? Reliability issues?

The new Scion FR-S looks really tempting.

In fact, I may go test drive one... the price is low enough that it might just be my second new car, ever. The thought of a well-balanced, lightweight(ish) RWD car with a manual transmission and an actual WARRANTY and a price that is below my guilt threshold is awful appealing.

I have to admit to being also tempted by the Subaru engine... it's just a VW in drag and I have fond memories of several different VWs. I'd love to have my old Scirocco back, but I'd love it more if it were RWD. Likewise I'd love to have another 914 (which the Subaru actually sounds like!) but would love it more if it didn't require massive amounts of bodywork and welding, as they practically all do. I saw an old Datsun 240Z for sale the other day, but it too looked pretty rusty, so I didn't stop for a closer look...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

g that would fit my needs, but cool nonetheless. Interestingly though, they 've not been on the market for very long and yet I see used ones everywhere , most under 10K miles. One local Dodge dealer is advertising 17 used 500s in the paper, and a few pages over another dealer has 12. >> >> Is this phe nomenon happening near you folks too? Any ideas why these would have so muc h turnover? Leases? Buyer's remorse? Reliability issues? > > Buyer remorse is a composite. > reliability issues most likely with it being fiat > >> Is the U.S. not ready for a city car? > > there is Mini which is arguably bet ter (better go cart, better value > in a stripper, maybe no so when you add > all the options) > > but it's good to have competition in the tiny lux s egment > > personally I'd vote for the miniscule rwd benz if I needed somet hing > this small > > if you live in manhattan and have aversion to cabs th is is just the > ticket > The new Scion FR-S looks really tempting. In fact , I may go test drive one... the price is low enough that it might just be my second new car, ever. The thought of a well-balanced, lightweight(ish) R WD car with a manual transmission and an actual WARRANTY and a price that i s below my guilt threshold is awful appealing. I have to admit to being als o tempted by the Subaru engine... it's just a VW in drag and I have fond me mories of several different VWs. I'd love to have my old Scirocco back, but I'd love it more if it were RWD. Likewise I'd love to have another 914 (wh ich the Subaru actually sounds like!) but would love it more if it didn't r equire massive amounts of bodywork and welding, as they practically all do. I saw an old Datsun 240Z for sale the other day, but it too looked pretty rusty, so I didn't stop for a closer look... nate -- replace "roosters" wit h "cox" to reply.

I agree that the Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ and Toyota FT-86 are pretty neat, b ut I'm not following the "VW in drag" part. Also, are you referring to the FR-S or a Porsche 914 with the "bodywork and welding" comment?

Reply to
/dev/phaeton

All the Subaru engines sound to me like a more subdued Beetle... probably because it's the same layout but watercooled! As for the bodywork, I was in fact referring to the 914... just try to find one that's not rusted anywhere!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

so not only are you functionally illiterate, you're cloth-eared too. the firing order on the subaru is 1324, the bug is 1432 - i.e. the subaru fires both on one side, then both on the other. that gives a very distinctive "subaru" sound. the bug is completely different and always fires on opposite sides, never sequentially on the same side. the sounds the two make therefore, to normal people at any rate, are completely different.

yeah, apart from overhead cams, 5 bearing cranks, and a weird firing order that makes it sound like it's got an ignition problem, the subaru is completely the same as the vw...

Reply to
jim beam

I think a lot of preppy girls get them cause they are cute lil cars. The convertible model looks cute and great way to tan.

Jessica Hill

Google,,, Hard Parts: South Bronx Fiat

Reply to
JR