Using induction clamp to see ignition voltage spikes and DC current?

I`m trying to display ignition voltages and DC currents on my o`scope. I`ll be clamping the timing gun`s induction clamp onto one of the ignition plug wires and hook the other end of the induction wires to an o`scope. I am hoping to see a voltage jump of some sort. Will this work? And If I later clamp it around an alternator cable, being under load, will I see at least 30A of DC currents? TIA Ricky

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

I doubt it, but experiment anyway. Generally, if you want to see anything useful with any level of resolution, you need a capacitive pick-up to view an ignition waveform. Your #1 inductive clamp should work as a trigger though.

Nope, you'll need a hall effect inductive clamp to measure current.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

You can see the plugs firing with just a couple loops around the plug wires. You won't see much on the alternator as it's damped by the battery.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Mike Walsh