Vauxhall Astra Sport Puffing Out Blue Smoke

Hi, ive got a Vauxhall Astra 95 1.8 Sport which seems to be chucking out blue smoke which i suspect is an oil problem and so i checked the oil and it seemed abit low so i topped it up and after driving for about 40miles the oil level has gone down quite alot again, it also blew out alot of blue smoke when i was in a car park going at no more than 10mph. Ive tried giving it a good go down a stretch of road but its still got the blue smoke coming out every few miles, can anyone give me any advice on what to do about this? Is it a major issue, i work for a motor parts shop so i can get hold of bits to fit myself if something needs replacing as would rather not have to pay out for a mechanic if poss. Cheers for any help.

Reply to
MissyRee

Yes, blue smoke sounds as if oil is getting into the cylinders and burning with the petrol. If the oil level has gone down "quite a lot" after driving just 40 miles, then that's a serious loss of oil.

I'd suspect the piston rings which seal the pistons to the cylinder walls. I would imagine that replacing them would be a sizeable task involving dismantling and reassembling the engine :-(

Reply to
Mortimer

I suspect you will find that the REPLACE ENGINE light has illuminated on your dashboard.

You probably don't want to do a ring job yourself without help.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey