Very simple digital tach circuit diagram?

Anyone have a very simple digital tachometer schematic handy?

I want to put a 4 digit LED tach into my van. Resolution of 50rpm is fine. Fed by the TACH output of a six cylinder GMC on distributor coil.

Reply to
Noozer

1) This won't necessarily be a 'very simple' circuit. 2) You'll probably get better responses from sci.electronics.basics for this question.

Good luck anyhow.

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

My suggestion...just buy one...there are suppliers for gauges of just about any type.

A digital tach doesnt really make much sense, IMHO, in this sort of application. An analog, or simulated analog, is much more comfortable in most cases.

Reply to
<HLS

Problem is that the display can't be larger than 1.5"

Reply to
Noozer

or
may have something.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

...and you ned a tach on a GM van with a V6 why?

Reply to
DeserTBoB

So I can judge engine speed in relation to when the transmission shifts and also in relation to a vibration problem I'm having.

Reply to
Noozer

Four digits would probably mean a display of 1000s, 100s, 10s and units. Although one of those digits could be used to display 50 rpm.

Here's an assembled circuit that includes a diagram online. As others have noted it isn't simple. So unless you have a desire to build one from scratch, you might want to consider a finished project. The project notes indicate that rpm's displayed below 100 be unstable. The numbers would be bouncing up and down quite a bit and would be very hard to read. Resolution to 100 would follow current practice for analog tachs.

You also might try a Google search. I found several home-brew kits. The one above looked most promising.

Reply to
John S.