VIN <-> manufacture date

Is a the vehicle manufacture month/year encoded in the VIN somehow? I mean, is it possible to figure out from the VIN which month the vehicle was manufactured on? (w/o having to use a service like Carfax.)

Reply to
bubbabubbs

Yes.

Reply to
Paul

Actaully the simple answer should be NO.

The date of manufacture is not encoded in the VIN. The model year and the production sequence number is, but that can't be used to figure out the actual date of manufacture without access to the manufacturr's database. Therefore, you cannot directly "figure out from the VIN which month the vehicle was manufactured on [in]." A dealer could probably look it up if you give them the VIN. However, the date of manufacture will be on the vehicle certification label, usually on the drives door frame.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Look under the hood or on the drivers door for the date. It should have the month & year if you door hasn't been replaced.

Here is an example of what the VIN shows:

VIN: 1GCGC24R8XR720162

1999 Chevrolet - C2500 Base VIN Specifications Country UNITED STATES Make Chevrolet Vehicle Type Pickup Truck GVWR Class Class G: 8,001-9,000 lb Model C2500 Body Type 2 Door Cab; Regular Engine Type V8, 5.7L; CPI Check Digit 8 Model Year 1999 Assy. Plant Arlington, TX Production Seq. Number 720162 Brake System Hydraulic Trim Level Base Drive Line Type RWD Series 3/4 ton Vehicle Class Full-size Pickup Engine Series Code WRN L31 Fuel Type Gasoline Manufacturer General Motors Corporation Engine Code R AAIA 44198/5896 AAIA_ENG 1290/8943 AAIA_LEGACY 1353013/1440687
Reply to
m6onz5a

I agree. I read it wrong. The vin only gives the model year, not the mfg date,

Reply to
Paul

How to read a vehicle identification number:

Sample:

1GCES64P73B000001 1st char: Country of manufacture (USA 1,4,5, Canada 2, Mexico 3, etc) 2nd : Manufaturer (G - GM, F-Ford, C-Chrysler, etc) 3rd : Vehicle type or manuf. division

These first three characters are known as the WMI for World Manufacturer Identifier and are assigned by the Society of Automotive Engineers

4th - 8th chars: Identify vehicle features - body style, engine type, model and series 9th char: Check digit used to verify VIN accuracy 10th char: Model year -- (1981-B 1982-C, 1983-D, 1984-E, 1985-F, 1986-G 1987-H, 1988-J .......1992-N, 1993-P, 2000-Y, 2001-1, 2002-2,... 2009-9, 2010-A. Sequence then repeats. Letters I, O, Q, Z and number zero are not used) 11th char: Assembly plant (each manufacturer uses its own codes to id plants)

Last 6 chars: Serial number

Reply to
dyno