Volvo V70 1999

I have '99 Volvo V70 XCountry (5 cyl low press. turbo) Automatic. 111K mi. Check Eng Light on - produces OBDII Code P0014 - "camshaft B (exhaust) over advanced." Runs normal but starting is difficult and nearly impossible in cold weather. When cranking, engine stops suddenly, which may imply early timing. Timing marks on cam gears are lined up correctly. Solenoid in exhaust camshaft timing actuator "clicks" when given 12v (appears to be working correctly).

Prior to my purchasing this vehicle the flexplate was replaced. I am wondering if the crank sensor, which gets its signal from flexplate, may be getting an incorrect signal because flexplate is either for another vehicle or installed incorrectly. Volvo says flexplate can only go on one way.

When flex plate mark (long hole), and crank sensor are lined up, the the crank position is about 120 degrees BTDC for the #1 Cyl.

I need to find out if this is the correct specification to determine if transmission removal is necessary.

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
starman