Wagner Thermoquiet VS Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads?

I've narrowed down my selection to one of these 2 pads. Prices are similar. Wagners are avail locally, Hawks are mail order. Any recommendations or experiences with either?

I'm interested in original or better performance as far as good 'grab' for slowing vehicle, stock or easier pedal effort etc and LOW dust is very desirable. Squeel would not be desirable. Vehicle is not driven 'competitively' etc. just a 'driver'. (haven't autoX'd in years but may only do it again once every couple years...)

Rotors will also be replaced with a name brand or OEM replacements. Won't be slotted, drilled etc...

Application is a '96 (C4) Corvette coupe w/ factory 'HD' brakes (J55). Still has the original PBR pads on it from factory w/ 50k. Not great but 'OK' if a bit dusty. They are worn, have recently begun to squeel and has at least 1 warped rotor.

Reply to
loadhawg

I can't comment on the Hawk Ceramic, but I did put the Hawk HPS pads on the front of my Cobalt SS with Power Slot discs (they are the same company). I didn't change the back rotors, which are an older setup but not factory. I drove around a few streets in circles doing the break-in and they have been great. I am getting lower dust on the front than on the back, which you know is totally abnormal. Pedal effort is no problem. They slow the car down BIG TIME. I am very impressed. The only thing I would note is that they do make some noise. They don't squeal at all, but they are a bit loud in their action. For how good they work, it's a good sound in my mind. It's hard to describe... not a groan, not a drone, just kind of a low pitched winding down kind of sound as you slow down. I find it totally tolerable. The ceramic may or may not do that-I don't know.

Another brand that I love, which I would have purchased, but which were not available for my application, is Performance Friction. Their Z-Rated line will haul you down in a hurry, very quietly. They will also give you some nice, dark dust though. They make ceramics also. I've never tried them.

Reply to
Craig