Want to do more side work? Want to bring more work into your shop?

Check out

(Copy andpaste the URL into your browser). Consumers can post Requests forProjects (RFP) for free, and Auto Technicians as individuals, RetailRepair Facilities, Students or Hobbyists can bid on repairing thevehicle as requested for them! Anyone signing up as a "ServiceProvider" before February 12, 2006 will have their Subscriptionupgraded to "Ultra," a $79.95 value, for 1 year at no charge! Check itout!

Reply to
Connect2Mechanic.com

Consider it done.

Reply to
« Paul »

HA HA HA So far only three FREE subsrcibers have signed up. There is zero activity on the clumsy site. It's so easy these days to establish a web site and try to sell a poorly thought out concept. Fortunately, we can click through them for amusement or avoid them altogether. Another one bites the dust, as they say.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Thanks for your input. The site has only been active for a few months, and the Hire a Tech feature has only been live for a few days. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Reply to
Connect2Mechanic.com

BTW, If posting this here was inappropriate, then I apologize.

Reply to
Connect2Mechanic.com

You make exellent points. However, that does not change the fact that technicians will "moonlight." This site will help to add a degree of protection to the customers (and technicians) of these moonlighters. Any job brokered through the site will be subject to "ratings" by the customers. Another thing that you are missing, the technicians don't "make" the door rate at their place of employment. The technicians could effectively double their pay rate, at home, and still save the consumer money in the long run. Additionally, this site does not cater only to the technicians "doing side work." There is no reason at all that shop owners (I already have a few shops on the list) cannot add their own shops to the list, and bid on these jobs, as well. The benefit of this is the same as the technicians. Consumers can rate the shop, and this can either help or hurt your future business. This will also, potentially, increase consumer awareness of your shop, your capabilities and your reputation. This is not necessarily a lowest bidder wins situation, either. The consumer picks from all bidders, with price, availability, previous ratings, and qualifications all adding into the decision.

Reply to
Connect2Mechanic.com

Just another note. One of the reasons that I decided to pursue this site, is that too many of my friends are tired of "getting taken" by so called "professional" repair facilities. I had a friend of a friend pay to have his distributor cap and rotor replaced on his 1995 Chevrolet Lumina. Ever seen a distributor on a 1995 Chevrolet Lumina? Me neither.

Reply to
Connect2Mechanic.com

This site doesn't make any sence to me. I have done a lot of side work. The thing is, how are you going to locate a mechanic that is close enough in distance to service your vehicle? If this site was to really catch on like ebay or something, bussinesses that have a lot of overhead, ie insurance, bussiness licenses, taxes etc etc would no longer be able to compete. They would call the local city inspectors / zones and report some one for working without a valid bussiness license. There are also mechanic liens that allow a shop to sell a vehicle if the repair bills are not paid. What can this mechanic do if his bill is not paid? Nothing if he is not a valid bussiness.

On the other hand...if you cannot afford to have you car repaired at the going rate, one can always get with a local community college / votech and see if the car can be repaired as part of a class project.

Reply to
komobu

When you log in, and look at the jobs being posted, you will see a distance calculation between yourself and the poster. When posting, the poster has the option of restricting offers to certain localities, as well.

Reply to
Connect2Mechanic.com

Okay, if I can build a transmission in my "shop" at home, and I can do it for $30 an hour, is the consumer going to save money over taking it to a "professional" shop? Am I going to make more money than if I did the same work for you at your shop? Isn't also the "same person" doing it?

If I go and post a RFP for $19.99, and I save $150 over some other "schemer," (your word, not mine) didn't I just save $130? Would you spend $20 to save a few hundred? Do you have a "Sam's Club" membership? Do you save enough money to make that fee worthwhile?

I absolutely agree that word of mouth is your best advertising.

You should have nothing to fear from this site, then. And everything to gain. This site will give consumers a chance to shop price, reputation and availablilty without leaving their home. And without having to deal with high pressure shops face to face.

The consumer has nothing to lose by posting. There is no obligation.

Reply to
Connect2Mechanic.com

All valid arguments. I have done transmission repairs at my home before, and yes they do come back sometimes. And, yes, I repair them for free the second time. I suppose nothing you ever do comes back? It is up to the individual, or retail facility to ensure their work is covered.

Having a car fall off of a hoist is a concern for everyone, not just the guy underneath it, but he is the most important. The car owner would be the second priority.

Not everyone knows where or who to turn to when their car breaks. This site will give them one more choice. Also, it is not me rating the transactions any more than eBay rates their transactions. It is the community, and I have absolutely no influence.

As far as "spamming," I don't know of any "Spammers" that would take the time to address these issues. By the way, I naver got spammed on my email address the way I have since I posted in this newsgroup.