Warning chimes not working properly

The warning chimes on a 1998 Mercury Mystique aren't working right. Normally, these should sound when the driver's door is open and the key is in the ignition or when the headlights are on and the door is open.

Now they sometimes sound when the driver's door is closed and the key is in the ignition. Also, the inside lights will come on. I suspect a loose wire but I'm not sure. When the chimes sound, I hear a clicking somewhere underneath the steering wheel, where the floor lights are. I don't notice any pattern as to when it chimes. But it seems like it mostly does it when the steering wheel is sharply turned, but not always.

Is there someway I can easily fix this? I know as much about cars as a six year old. I probably wouldn't even bother with it except that it's annoying when the chimes come on when I'm driving down the road. The other day the darn thing kept chiming for 10 minutes before it stopped. I cannot begin to tell you how annoying that was.

Reply to
Mike S.

One of the door switches is sticking becasue of contamination. The usual fix is to spray the latch mecahanism in the edge of the door with WD-40. You need to really soak it. You are trying to wash the contamination out of the mechanism.