"Weak" Air Conditioning A Problem if Not Corrected?

The vehicle is a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country. The air conditioning blows cool but not cold (sorry I did not measure the temperature at the vents). It's noticeable when the outside temperature is in the mid

80's or above - you have to be traveling at 60 mph or faster for the air conditioning to keep the interior comfortable. If you are doing stop and go driving, the AC just never puts out sufficient cold air. That's why I described it as "weak" air conditioning.

Am I damaging the vehicle's air conditioning system by running it in this condition? I live in the Midwest, so the AC is not going to be used much after September. Can I safely delay the AC servicing for next spring, or should this be resolved now?

Reply to
KC

Most likely it won't hurt to wait. I've done that a number of times with no ill effects. You might find your defrost mode doesn't work as well when winter comes around. If the low pressure switch is working as it should, the compressor won't kick on when you leak out enough 134a. I'm only familiar with GM systems, so don't count on my "opinion." You should check Chryco groups/forums where you might find different info.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

. Can I safely delay the AC servicing for

There are sensors that will shut the compressor off before damage occurs. HTH, Ben

Reply to
ben91932

This sounds like the electric auxiliary radiator/condenser fan may have failed (if your car has one).

If driving 60 MPH 'cures' the symptom, its because not enough cooling air is getting through the condenser (the a/c 'radiator' behind the grill). It might be worthwhile checking fuses, relays and finally the fan motor.

The fix could be a lot cheaper than full a/c service.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The other comments seem correct, but if there is a small leak in a seal or compressor, adding some stop leak will probably help. I found the sealers work best if left in for a long time, preferably over winter.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This is true. But then, when you have to open the system to work on it to deal with the problem when it gets later, it will be full of stop leak glop.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The professional mechanics here in Dogpatch quite often use the stop leak products. Their experience with this does not seem to be negative, considering that older cars are often in such a shape, and may be owned by people of less than affluent means, and gives the owner a few months or even years of cooling.

With a lot of these older systems, if you have to change the compressor or other internal parts, you will probably have to flush the crap out of the system anyway.

Recently replaced one of the GM multivalve compressors on a 4 cylinder GMC pickup. That sucker basically exploded, leaving all kinds of trash through the unfiltered part of the system...particles from the size of dust to the size of small peanuts. It made an expensive repair even more expensive... Thanks to GM for building crap that keeps us all on our toes, and not overly wealthy.

Reply to
hls