Weirdness after replacing headlight bulb in '94 Ford Escort

One of my headlights burned out the other day, so I bought two replacement bulbs since both bulbs were the original that came with the car. I purchased a twin pack of Sylvania 9007XV bulbs.

After replacing both bulbs, I noticed that the brights worked in reverse and that the brights indicator in the dash was on all the time. My GF had her original 9007 headlight bulbs from when I changed her Mustang out to the clear blues a couple of years ago. I put these in my Escort and this time one worked right and the other one was reversed. The dash indicator only indicated brights when the one that was working correctly was bright. Incidentally, the one that was not working right is the one that burned out originally. I put the original bulb that was still working in the side that burned out and it was still in reverse. Since I obviously can't be driving around with one bright headlight all the time, I put the new Sylvanias back in and just make sure that I don't accidentally put them on bright.

Another issue. I dropped the retainer ring for one of the bulbs in the engine compartment and it never came out. I ordered another one from the dealer. For the life of me, I cannot get the other retainer ring to tighten. I can put it on fine when I tighten it without the bulb being in there. Is there some kind of trick to getting these on? I have both bulbs temporarily secured with tape.

I replaced the bulbs in my GF's Mustang without issue, so I was not anticipating so many issues with my Escort. There is only one way to connect the power to the bulbs, so I don't have a clue with what could be going on.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Happy New Year!

Dan

Reply to