What a Drag

'93 Grand Prix 3.1 automatic. 110,000 miles.

This car hasn't been driven much since I got a job 37 miles from home and I got a Grand Am because of better gas mileage. I do drive it a little each month to keep it working. It is always stored under cover.

This last weekend when I was driving it I noticed something wrong. When sitting on level ground, the engine hot, I shifted from park to reverse. I expected to start rolling before I gave it gas but it did not move. Thinking that I must have set the parking brake, I pulled the lever, but that was not it. I gave it some gas and it started moving with a groan. After letting off the gas, I could feel a drag.

My first thought was the brakes were not releasing all the way. But with the car in park and grabbing a tire I can roll the car back and forth easily. Also when I stop after 37 miles of freeway driving, the brakes are cool.

The problem is not noticeable when the engine is cold but that is probably due to the fast idle.

I've changed the tranny fluid and filter two or three times last time about

15,000 miles ago. The brake fluid has been changed several times too.

I've driven about 200 miles since I first noticed it and it has not gotten better or worse.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Have you checked the fluid level? Groaning into reverse is the first symptom of low fluid usually.

Mike

Mike Romain

Could you have issues with a CV or U joint worn and not liking reverse anymore? They usually will give a jerk or clunk when they get really bad.

I also would check the engine mounts out. If one is bad enough it might allow something to bind or rub when reverse it hit. You can check them by having someone hold the brake solid and putting it into gear then giving it a little gas while you watch the engine from the side with the hood up. If the engine lifts up in either forward or reverse, suspect a bad mount.

I would also think about the rear brakes. If there is rust buildup on the drums, the brakes might grab when going in reverse. The shoes move on the backing plate between forward and reverse usually for the emergency brake and self adjuster and might grab in reverse. This would go away with use.

Mike

Mike Romain

Oh yea. I forgot mention that. The fluid level is at the top cross hatch on the dip stick when checked hot and idling in Park.. Color is good and no odor.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Should have mentioned this too: It does pretty much the same thing in forward as well as reverse. One test that I did is when I put it drive and felt the drag I put it in park and could push the car easily back and forth.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Low trans pump pressure or bad regulator(s) in valve body. Worse hot performance suggests it is an oil clearance issue, perhaps between the drive gear, driven gear, or machined well in the front pump housing.

A simple preliminary check of trans line pressure would be advisable.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I'll have to look at the factory manual to see if I can learn how to do this. Thanks

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

No drums. Disk on back. I've eliminated brakes because I can feel the drag either in forward or reverse put it in Park get out and easily move the car forward and back until the parking pawl stops movement. Also there is no heat build up after long freeway driving. I am thinking it might be a clutch partially engaged in the transmission when it shouldn't be.

Thanks

Reply to
Scott Buchanan