What Alternator 1981 Ford Fairmont 6 cyl 3.3 L

What is the correct alternator for a 1981 Ford Fairmont

6 cyl 3.3 L. auto transmission. No air conditioning. No large audio amp or anything like that. Nothing extra.

Listed is a 60 amp and a 100 amp alternator.

Hypothetically say my vehicle requires the 60amp alternator, what problems if any will I create if I install the 100 amp one if it fits physically.

Will I overcharge the battery?

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

I would expect it to be the 60 amp alternator. No reason for car to need more than 60amps unless it's been modified in some way. The 100amp is likely for people who've put in big stereos or other power consuming items. Also there is no damage in having more capacity than you can use. The car's systems will draw what they need. But if the max draw is under 60 amps, buying a 100 amp alternator is a waste of money.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
Mike Walsh

But, to actually answer your question: No, the larger-capacity alternator will not overcharge the battery. The voltage regulator works the same in either version. You'd just have much more in reserve.

Reply to
the fly

|What is the correct alternator for a 1981 Ford Fairmont |6 cyl 3.3 L. auto transmission. No air conditioning. |No large audio amp or anything like that. Nothing |extra. |Listed is a 60 amp and a 100 amp alternator.

There was a police option on those cars, so the 100 amp was for those. You had the 60 amp.

|Hypothetically say my vehicle requires the 60amp alternator, |what problems if any will I create if I install the 100 amp one |if it fits physically.

The case size was bigger, as I recall. So the mounts would be different.

|Will I overcharge the battery?

No. Unless you are running additional equipment such as auxillary lighting, big stereo etc you don't need additional amperage. Just replacing the failed alternator with a high-quality replacement will be an "upgrade", since output degrades over time. THe best option would be to go to a local generator shop and have them build you one with quality componenets. You can also have a higher-amp alternator built using the stock case. Either option should not cost more than buying one over the counter. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Rex, thank you kindly for this information.

Denny B

those.

lighting, big

Reply to
Denny B

|Rex, thank you kindly for |this information.

Glad to be of service. Hope it helped.

|> |What is the correct alternator for a 1981 Ford Fairmont |> |6 cyl 3.3 L. auto transmission. No air conditioning. |> |No large audio amp or anything like that. Nothing |> |extra. |> |Listed is a 60 amp and a 100 amp alternator. |>

|> There was a police option on those cars, so the 100 amp was for |those. |> You had the 60 amp. |>

|> |Hypothetically say my vehicle requires the 60amp alternator, |> |what problems if any will I create if I install the 100 amp one |> |if it fits physically. |>

|> The case size was bigger, as I recall. |> So the mounts would be different. |>

|> |Will I overcharge the battery? |>

|> No. |> Unless you are running additional equipment such as auxillary |lighting, big |> stereo etc you don't need additional amperage. Just replacing the |failed |> alternator with a high-quality replacement will be an "upgrade", |since output |> degrades over time. |> THe best option would be to go to a local generator shop and have |them build |> you one with quality componenets. You can also have a higher-amp |alternator |> built using the stock case. Either option should not cost more than |buying one |> over the counter. |> Rex in Fort Worth | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B