What could have happened?????

Oy. OK I changed the head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket today on my Jeep 4.0. It fired up fine but I seemed to be smelling/seeing exhaust up near the engine (By this time it was completely dark) But the engine was idling fine as if all 6 cylinders were fine..OK good. I was happy. I drove around the block to the gas station and filled up and it drove just fine...After adding some gas it started up but when I put it in drive and gave it gas it started struggling and sputtering along as if it was starving for fuel. I made it back up to the lot and found that if I drove in reverse or just reved the engine in park it ran perfectly but as soon as I pout it in drive and gave it gas it would start the struggling. I tried to make it home but the Jeep would go from running ok to sputtering again. I finally had to stop at a red light at the bottom of a big hill and it couldn`t make it up the hill..I rolled back down and then found it would stall out as soon as I started it...I finally got it to stay running after 5-6 attempts but even with the peddle to the floor it was only going like 3 MPH..I just pushed it off the road and left it there for the night..I am so upset and disappointed...Knowing all that had to be taken off and reinstalled for the cylinder head job can anyone thing what could possibly have gone wrong to result in the syptoms I`ve described? I did all the gaskets, torquing patterns, everything back where it started by the book. There are no error codes showing up :-(

Reply to
Programbo

PS: I found a little sensor of some sort all the way at the back of the intake manifold near the firewall which seems to have been broken during the repair..I can`t find it anywhere in my Haynes manual to even see what it`s for.

Reply to
Programbo

Go to Autozone website, find your vehicle/engine, and maybe they have an online manual for it that shows you what the part is for. Nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

There is a manifold air temp switch at the back of the manifold screwed in the top of it. This may make it stay in 'choke' mode and flood out after it warms up if broken. Haynes page 6-19, photo 11.26. I would be guessing this might be the trouble.

There is also a sensor at the top of the tranny bell housing right there that will stop it from running right, it is the CPS. This one can fail with no codes also.

Reply to
Mike Romain

I would go back over everything you disconnected... double check all grounds! HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932