What does "No compression" mean?

Let me show you my Kool-Aid. My Kool-Aid, let me show you it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

But is it electric Kool-Aid? That's the best kind.

Reply to
Tegger

Folks regularly report 300,000 miles on them. Our last 4.0 got retired at only 320K km and it was still running very strong with only one liter of oil used between changes still. Our Cherokee died of terminal rot though.

One weak point is the Chrysler connectors. They make very poor connectors for the computer sensors in the engine bay that are prone to failure. A regular spray clean with an electronic contact cleaner and a skim of dielectric grease on the seal skirts of all the plugs and sockets does them wonders.

Sure a new TPS or a new CPS will make them work again, but that is only because it makes half the connection new again. Most failures can be fixed with a simple clean. Both those 'failed' on ours, but were resurrected from death by a little spray of cleaner and lasted over 8 more years after we were told they needed replacing.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

There's nothing collectible about a Honda. I sincerely doubt that ANY honda will ever get a complete restoration, except as a joke.

Crushed into a new Coors beer can maybe....

Reply to
Steve

That's almost as much as on my '73 318. Not bad at all.

I've got a nicely failed Jeep TPS that I can show you. The resistance reading moves normally, then snaps back to end-of-range at the middle of the TPS travel. Made for some very interesting driveability issues.... But the 4.0 got me to the next town with a parts store just fine.

I've never had any issues with Chrysler weatherproof connectors. They pick pathetically under-sized wire gauges for heavy loads sometimes (headlamp circuits, for example), but the electronics stuff seems very solid with good moisture sealing. But I don't live in salt country, so that may be a big part of it.

Reply to
Steve

Yup, the salt belt is nasty on connections.

You are one of the few I have read about with an actual failed TPS. Does your have cruise control by the way? I could think something like that may have caused an arc or wear spot at one position on the TPS. Or it just up and failed, it happens.

The TPS connection symptoms are a fast idle on start up that needs a restart to hopefully stop. Once it has done this that day, then they stall at the first and only the first stop sign or light that day.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Steve wrote in news:kvGdnW5GsMo5nEDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

The very early ones are being restored today and are gaining in value. You could Google it.

The Japs are the next collector wave, like it or not.

Or Sapporo beer cans. Those have a cute shape, just like early Hondas.

Reply to
Tegger

I own a little World War Two era wind up walking toy Donkey which was made in Japan, probally made soon after World War Two.One side of the toy was made from a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer can.I can't get a good enough view of the inside of the other side of the toy to see what (beer can or whatever) it was made from.The toy works too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

A friend back in the 70's had a Datsun car and when we took off the inside door panel to fix a window, we found the imprints from Coke cans all over the metal skin. It was really funny.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news:48dd2916$0$14083 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

The Japs made some lousy cars during the '70s, for sure (I had one), but aren't you reaching juuust a little here?

Reply to
Tegger

A friend of mine had a 75 Corolla that had a wood floor just like a new Vette does. Ok, so it was a cabinet door to replace the rotten metal... RWD that one was too.

Ray

Reply to
ray

ray wrote in news:t4gDk.510$M snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad:

I had one of those! The first car I ever owned was a '75 2-door 1600 Corolla. Those things rusted like no tomorrow (and there wasn't any tomorrow for most of those heaps). You never needed a tach to tell when to shift, you just went by the engine's buzziness. And don't get me started on the effects winter salt had on that thing!

Uh, wait a sec... You said a new 'Vette has a /wooden/ floor? You mean like pieces of a tree? Did I read that right?

Reply to
Tegger

IIRC it is actually a balsa/fiberglass composite. Not exactly new tech; reinforcing fiberglass with balsa has been done for years. Probably works well for what they're trying to do - low weight and good NVH damping.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yup, and IIRC the Z06 Vettes went to a Carbon Fibre/Balsa composite floor.

Funky, eh, but it's not exactly like Chevy is buying 1x6's from Home Depot. ;)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

No, and I am kicking myself I never got a photo. The images of the coke labels were there plain as day. We were rolling around laughing about it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

No cruise, its a very low-optioned 1999 XJ (which I like, frankly). Its got A/C and the 5-speed manual, part-time 4wd and *nothing* else. I love it. The only thing I didn't like about the option level was that the dash unit was the one with a speedometer, gigantic gas gauge as big as the speedo, and nothing else but idiot lights. I found a full gauge cluster on Ebay and swapped that in, so now I have full gauges and a tach.

I'll keep that in mind. Mine had two symptoms. The first was that whenever I'd move the throttle at all, the engine would cut off for about 1/4 second and then pick up and run fine. So long as I held a constant throttle position, it would run OK, though a little down on power as if the timing were backed off to minimum advance. The second was an illuminated check-engine light. My cheapie OBD-II code reader tabbed it as the TPS, and the ohmmeter confirmed it.

Reply to
Steve

So are AMC Gremlins and a few Yugos.

I doubt it very much.

Reply to
Steve

Toyota was one of the very last manufacturers to put front-drive into their primary car lines.

Reply to
Steve

Supras are already collectible. I'd buy one, if I could afford it. Seriously, a decent turbo Supra is going for more than a decent Porsche 944.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Some GM's are engineered better than that.. My Reatta, for example, apparently has preplanned failure modes that will take it into the next decade, if not into the junkyard ;>)

Reply to
HLS