What hood lifts will fit an '89 Cressida?

For some reason these seem difficult to locate other than through Toyota. Any idea if something else will cross over? The ones I see on Ebay specify up to '88.

Thanks

Reply to
brassplyer

IIRC, 1989 was a body style change for the Cressida so the hood lifts may not be the same.

I found aftermarket Mighty Lift supports at autozone.com when I looked up

1989 Cressida with 8-1/2" compressed length, 12" extended length with 70 lbs support.
Reply to
Ray O

I had the same problem with my Supra. A bright fellow who has left this group gave me this idea: get about 4" of PVC tubing, costs about 75 cents, cut a slot down the side, 'slip' it on one of the lifts (NOTE: "slip" is a misnomer...it takes some doing!). When you raise the hood, the PVC tubing gets between the mount and the top part of the lift and holds the hood open. Raise the hood, aling the PVC so it slides over the top part of the lift, and close the hood.

The lifts for this car are about $35 each. The PVC pipe is 75 cents.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote in news:hj6ufa$8d2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

A guy I know (with a Chevette, believe it or not) just clamps a set of Vise-Grips on the shaft of one of his hatch struts to hold the hatch open. Seems to work a treat.

Reply to
Tegger

I used that trick on the gas lift for the office chair I am using. The chair is in perfect condition except for gas spring that cost half price of a new chair. I never used the adjustable feature anyway - full height works just fine and the grandkids can't play with it.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

How many do you want and how much do you want to pay?!?!

twisted

According to Hollander 89-92 will interchange.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've done that, too, but you can't foget a piece of PVC around the strut!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I tried that previously. Did you look at the results? Do you see any that actually take you to a link for an '89 hood lift? As previously noted, they all seem to stop at '88. The only reference I even see for an '89 is the one that comes up for this thread.

Reply to
brassplyer