What is a "flex tube" on a 2004 Volkswagen

My friend has a 2004 Volkswagen. She began hearing a noise coming from underneath the car. She took it to a mechanic that is listed in the yellow pages and he told her that the flex tube is damaged. He told her that Volkswagen sells the entire unit for around $1,000.00 but that he can cut the damaged flex tube out and weld a new flex tube in for around $125.00. She asked me to ascertain what a flex tube is, if $125.00 is a good price, and if this is a good way to have it repaired. Can someone advise me on this? Thank you.

need more detail, but it kind of sounds like maybe the flexible section of the exhaust? What model/engine VW, and what kind of noise was she hearing?

nate

Reply to
N8N