what is best for plastic surfaces (not ArmorAll)

trying to protect an older car that used to be garage stored (no longer have that garage) from outside UV/sun exposure

have been reading that it's best not to use ArmorAll for the plastic step plate on rear bumber and plastic parts of front grille

color used to be dark grey and are slowly turning opaque or white

any kind of silicone product or similar that you can recommend by brand name?

something I can buy from Napa, AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts?

thanks

Reply to
jake

No, none of these things really work, and some of them may cause damage in the long term, like armor-all does.

Got to Napa and get a car cover. Put the cover on the car. Get a white one if you can since it will be cooler.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What I've found to work the best is mechanic's hand cleaner, *with* lanolin, *without* pumice, rubbed in with a toothbrush and buffed off with a terry cloth towel. It's fantastically amazing for cleaning and softening old, hard vinyl.

The best thing to use to protect it is one of those reflective things that you put in your windshield.

nate

Reply to
N8N

lanolin, *without* pumice, rubbed in with a toothbrush and buffed off with a terry cloth towel.

ok, just to be very clear, this is for plastic step plate on rear bumper and plastic parts on front grille that are slowly starting to turn white

assuming any brand name "mech hand cleaner w/lanolin wo/pumice" will work or can you state name of product?

available at any auto-store or only one?

Reply to
jake

I've used black magic, no water formula and had good results. Not sure of all the long term effects but it seems to protect better than armor all in my opinion. It's available at your FLAPS or even wal mart.

Reply to
genius

The reason it's turning white is likely that someone in the past used armor all on it.

The outer layer has now oxidized and what you are seeing is the result.

The only real way to stop it would be to use some 1000 grit paper and sand it back to good material then coat it with a clear which has a UV inhibitor in it.

Now if you want to try a GOOD protectant go get some 303 plastic and vinyl protector. GREAT stuff and is usually available at better camping supply places as well as good detailing shops.

Steve W.

oh, I thought you were referring to interior pieces.

In your case there are products to bring back the black color of your parts, although honestly, I would be tempted to remove them, scrub them well, and spray paint them.

nate

Reply to
N8N