What is overheat temperature?

I was reading the labels on the antifreeze products, and was curious to find that some of the boilover temperature of antifreeze is 125 C. If this is so, then what is the overheat temperature of cars, say Ford, GM and some Japanese cars like Mitsubishi, Honda etc.? If the overheat temperature is higher than the boilover temp of antifreeze, then if the engine does overheat, say due to faulty electric fan, then does the antifreeze need to also be changed? This is of course, the overheat is detected before any serious damage is done to the engine which needs a major overhall. I know that the characteristics of engine oil is changed during a overheat, and needs to be changed, but what about antifreeze??? Anybody out there can share some light on this subject.

Just curious......

Regards, James.

Reply to
CATADAY Sdn. Bhd.

Good question on temperature degradation of antifreeze. I don't know the answer. Here is an interesting link to boiling vs. pressure w/antifreeze:

« Paul »

Ethylene glycol or propylene glycol antifreeze bases are not items which are instantly damaged at some temperature, like 125C.

Over time at high temperature, especially when oxygen is present, these glycols can and do degrade.

The ingredients of the additives packages have varying stability to high temperature, but most can withstand elevated temperatures for a considerable time.

So while it is wise to change your coolant charge ever 2-3 years, it is not usually necessary to change it after an overheat condition.

Reply to
HLS