What makes the knocking sound?

I have just replaced the 350 engine in my 97 suburban (the old one had

150,000 miles with very low compression in two cylinders). I have replaced it with a new GM long block. What is bothering me is a "knocking" sound that I get when it is first started up cold. It is a knocking sound that sounds the loudest around the oil pan. From what I have always been told.. a rod knock gets worse when the engine warms up, a piston slap goes away as the engine warms up. I have the knock for about two minutes and then it seems to be gone. The engine now has 1000 miles on it and the noise has not changed at all. Do I have a serious problem? What is the probable cause?

Thanks MJ

Reply to
My Name

Sounds like piston slap from your description - in that case, not too much to worry about..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Could be an exhaust leak too... I know my Stude has a small leak at the heat riser valve... as soon as the heat riser opens up, it's gone...

nate

Robert Hancock wrote:

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

I figure you tracked that down, my mav has a couple small leaks at the manifold gasket, they too seal up once the engine warms.

Reply to
Brent P

I'm not motivated to fix it, I'll be pulling the engine for a cam swap and other goodies this winter when I paint under the hood.

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Reply to
bobby

Older 350 and 5.0 GM engines have a sneaky cold knock that 'almost' sounds like a rod knock.

It is a worn spring on the heat riser valve on one exhaust manifold allowing the counter weight to make the valve knock pretty good in time with the engine firing. Once it heats up, the spring tightens up and no more knock.

Mike

My Name wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thank you all for the replies. I will try to quit worrying about it (keep telling myself that is not serious). A couple of folks told me that it could be exhaust related but, like I said before, the sound is the loudest from the oil pan.

MJ

Reply to
My Name